Using (and automating) Obsidian on macOS - Meta Post

Collecting posts on useful workflows for macOS. Link posts in this thread and I’ll consolidate.

Keyboard Maestro

Alfred

Working with other apps

Good to Know

19 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Changing Obsidian’s appearance on the fly with Keyboard Maestro

Maybe this is relevant, since it talks about solutions for macOS specifically.

1 Like

This is a great great great thread. I’m thinking of buying Keyboard Maestro. Hoping these still work.

1 Like

How to take advantage of autocompletion (and aliases) when wiki-wrap existing text (with Keyboard Maestro)

When I’m wiki-wrapping existing text, it’s easy to select, hit [[ and – boom! – that text is now a link. It’s magic. But sometimes, I’m not sure what the exact text is, or the text is “Luhmann” and I want it to link to a page entitled “Niklas Luhmann”, which has the alias, [Luhmann]. When I’m typing Luhmann, Obsidian’s brilliant autocorrection includes that option – [[Niklas Luhmann|Luhmann]] – but there is no autocorrection offered if you simply wrap the text.

But there is a simple workaround:

1. Select the text
  2. ⌘X - Cut
  3. [[
  4. ⌘V - Paste

To make it even faster, I’ve created a Keyboard Maestro shortcut ⌘⌥[ that cuts the selected text to a named clipboard, prepends [[ and then pastes the cut text, at which point the autocorrection kicks in and you can see several possibilities. Here is a screenshot of the KM macro.

2 Likes

I’ve proposed this Small but big QoL: When linking a pre-existing word or phrase, display the note suggestion menu as a feature for Obsidian, which is very close to what you’ve built for KM here. Thank you, I’ll be using this until (hopefully) the devs implement the feature request!

2 Likes

This is a great little workaround! I re-created it as an Alfred workflow in MacOS:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 9.41.43 PM

3 Likes

Here is my Alfred workflow file itself for importing:

1 Like