Obsidian-Zettelkasten Starter-Kit

I’ve been with Obsidian for over 9 months now. Starting Obsidian with a clean, empty vault is really exciting. It can be an adventure to start without first reading “How to take Smart Notes” by Sönke Ahrens. And last but not least, you will need a lot of time for your own experiments.

Is there some kind of shortcut? A magical thing like a starter kit or a set of templates to use from the get-go?

Here are for you:

A proven workflow is already available here in the forum:

You may also benefit from:

And all others:

Enjoy!

15 Likes

v0.10.0 | 02.01.2023
What‘s New:

• Updated “Foreword”
  • Draft text for chapter “Understand the Value of Smart Sketchnotes”
  • Draft text for chapter “Take Notes”
  • Draft text for chapter “Take Sketchnotes”
  • Draft text for chapter “Use Zettelkasten Method”

Bug Fixes:

• Spell checking
2 Likes

V0.13 is now available with many new chapters about Obsidian and Zettelkasten:

If you enjoyed it and found it useful, you can give a feedback. If you spotted something that wasn’t clear or wish to add to the content, please leave a comment. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi Edmund - Just getting started with Obsidian and your Zettelkasten Starter Kit. My intent is to use it for book noting in a Great Books of the Western World reading group. Someone kindly digitized the Syntopicon cross-index of this 54-volume series as an Obsidian system GitHub - sajjad2881/NewSyntopicon: A better way to read books

Do you have thoughts on where best to integrate the files into your Starter Kit? Working my way through your extensive references here and Make Useful Notes v0.17. Thanks for the great resources!

BRET

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this link to an amazing resource. Also a Zettelkasten is not a place for storing your sources, the Starter Kit offers you a folder named „Assets“. Here the books are separated from the 6 Zettelkasten folders, and they are linkable from your Permanent Notes. What are your ideas? What are your goals when working with these books?

Assets - yes, that’s a good place to collect the sources, thanks.

My reading group is www.onlinegreatbooks.com - we just worked through M. Adler’s “How to Read a Book” HTRAB methodology which, as the title suggests, advises on how to inspect, analyze and compare books wrt ideas and supporting evidence & logic (or the Trivium of grammar, logic and rhetoric). How To Read A Book Summary - Four Minute Books

I’ll be looking to use your ZK-Kit and adding Fleeting Notes as I read, developing the HTRAB analysis, linking to the NewSyntopicon. Does that seem like a promising effort? BRET