Setup Zettelkasten. But how?

The Obsidian Forum offers a variety of Zettelkasten setup options. But which setup is best for you? This “Setup Level Model” for the Zettelkasten methodology with five stages—from simple to sophisticated—identifies key elements that enhance the complexity and functionality of our system.

Here’s some help from previous posts:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Tell me if you’ve already found your personal setup level. Which links should be added?

More about the 12 Principles For Using Zettelkasten

5 Likes

Ahh yes. Reminds me of the bell curve meme.

And I agree. Simplify. Or, as in the military, KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. I’m always looking for ways to do more with less in my vault.

I’m finding these 12 Principles For Using Zettelkasten discussions very helpful. Your graphics are fantastic!

Also, I noticed you list Power BI under “Tools” in the image you shared. I’m curious, is Power BI something you use often in the context of Zettle or PKM? Or if that more of a crossover from your role as Data Scientist?

It’s more of a crossover. PowerBI has all the features to analyse data from Obsidian. It’s done in three steps:

1. Select data of interest by creating a query with “Dataview” plugin.
  2. Export data by using the “Table to CSV Exporter” plugin.
  3. Import CSV data to PowerBI.

But there is a second way to visualize your Obsidian data:

1. Select data of interest by creating a query with “Dataview” plugin.
  2. Build a data visual with “Charts” plugin.

Benefit from the second solution: Live data visualization without export and import of data. Benefit from PowerBI: More sophisticated analysis available.

And to conclude with a question: How do you analyze your Obsidian data?

1 Like

That’s really cool! I’d love to look into this more myself. Not that I need advanced data analysis features for my vault. But more bc I’m a nerd and love when data is conveyed elegantly. Thanks for sharing your process for analyzing data from Obsidian.

Really just using Dataview currently. I’ve scaled back my plugin usage, and I can do everything I need within one plugin. Though I am thinking about ways I can start to leverage the data I’ve been accumulating to explore data science through person data projects.

Also, as this is a thread on setting up Zettelkasten in Obsidian, I thought I’d share 2 YT videos that I found helpful, in addition to the resources that you listed:

2 Likes