Meta - Migration Workflows

Using the Importer plugin

The official Obsidian Importer plugin makes it easy to migrate from other apps and formats. Please visit the Obsidian Help site for guides on how to import notes:

This meta thread is an archive of helpful posts for migrating from other tools. If you have found a tool that is useful, please drop a link in the comments or create a thread in Share & showcase explaining how you used it! I’ll update the index as we go along. Threads on the forum or blog posts describing best practices in workflows are also welcome (please consider adding them to Example Workflows in Obsidian first).

Roam

Official Roam Research Import Guide

Notion

Official Notion Import Guide

OneNote

Official OneNote Import Guide

Evernote

Official Evernote Import Guide

Bear

Apple Notes

Google Keep

Tiddlywiki

TheBrain

DayOne

CSV exports

Synology

Standard Notes

Dynalist

Realmworks

Windows Sticky Notes

Remnote

Diaro

Craft

Simplenote

Logseq

24 Likes

Collection of various Workflows for Migrating your Notes

#import #migrate

5 Likes

Converting from large outlines to Markdown.

For example, Workflowy or Dynalist.

See also Convert Outlines

I haven’t managed to do this yet, so would be interested in any attempts.

See also https://christiantietze.de/posts/2019/12/markdown-split-by-chapter/

Re: Evernote and Onenote, one workflow is:

Onenote > Evernote Import > Evernote export (as enex) > Joplin import > Joplin export as markdown

Migrate from Drafts

Not sure if there’s a better way, but I found this and added a few details. Feel free to add it…

Came across nvUltra’s import instructions, and since nvUltra and Obsidian both use Markdown, this might be helpful to people coming from Bear, Evernote, nvAlt, Notational Velocity, Notes.app, Notion, Simplenote, and Ulysses.

https://nvultra.com/help/importing

1 Like

Thanks for sharing about Joplin - I had been starting to use Notion, just because I have it. But in order to get 2000 notes onto Evernote web, I’d need a premium account (and the time to upload). Also, I find that the attached/embedded files and links are better formatted with Joplin - the only thing I did was to batch replace " -" (4 spaces) with “-” in for all of the files Notepad++. Without that, I get a lot of red text.

@lizardmenfromspace

FYI, I have heavily modified an existing Powershell script that exports from OneNote directly to markdown, along with all sorts of prompts for tweaks, cleaning up of output etc…

I made a post for it here and the github link is here

Care to add it to your meta list?

2 Likes

Added

Anyone had success importing cleanly from Google Keep? I have an issue converting labels to tags.

Easy enough to export the data in html format from Google Keep using Google Takeout. I then converted to markdown using this software but the labels are not converted to tags (it just reads ‘tags: - null’ on the converted .md file):

2 Likes

I have been using Foam https://foambubble.github.io/foam/ for some time. Can I use Obsidian over my notes folder non-destructively? Will it break if I go back to Foam?

You can use Foam and Obsidian at the same time, so long as you don’t clash edits. The underlying data is just markdown files.

2 Likes

OK, great, thank you. That gives me confidence to make the switch for a while and try it out.

It would be great if there were an easy way to export from Day One Classic to Obsidian. Entries are formatted as XML

no success here…

Spent the whole evening trying, so frustrating

I’ve used this obnoxious system that uses Bear link

I’d like to switch from Joplin to Obsidian, but I fear I’ll lose metadata. Any scripts, suggestions or guides?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I am looking to switch around 14,000 flash cards from Anki to Obsidian. Any help will be appreciated.

This would be helpful for me too. I’m using Joplin, a great package, for handling my Evernote notes (from a previous life :slight_smile:), but see some limits, e.g., handling attached PDFs. In any case, I would want to make annotations on the PDFs (as I do now with MarginNote 3) and link files, groups and individual notes. And yes, I’d like to keep a link to the original file in the metadata, files with annotations/comments and have a log of editing changes.

1 Like