Minimal is an opinionated Obsidian theme designed to the create the most natural and distraction-free environment for thinking. And now, winner of the best theme of 2020 award — neat!
To get the best experience I recommend installing all three of the latest versions:
- Minimal Theme, available in community themes.
- Minimal Theme Settings plugin, available in third-party plugins. Allows you to customize fonts, colors, and more details of the Minimal Theme.
- Hider plugin, available in third-party plugins. Allows you to selectively hide parts of the Obsidian interface. (Also compatible with other themes)
This theme is provided as is, and is focused on my personal use of Obsidian on macOS. As such it is not thoroughly tested across all operating systems and features of Obsidian.
This theme modifies significant parts of the Obsidian interface, so it might break with future updates. It may also be incompatible with other bits of custom CSS you have. The theme file is organized in such a way that you can easily find sections to override using CSS snippets.
- Simplify the UI to create a focused editing experience
- Keyboard-first design as a philosophy behind which features to hide
- Bring Obsidian closer to the macOS Human Interface Guidelines with native fonts and conventions
- Polish improvements on par with Bear, Notion, Apple Notes and other minimally designed note-taking apps
- Focus Mode, everything but the text is hidden when sidebars are collapsed
- Nicer checklists similar to Apple Notes
- Pill-style tags
- Click to zoom on images
- Default arrow cursor for UI elements
- Long file names are trimmed with ellipses to fit on a single line