Block reference

Yep, I need this block! The block can help us link everything, besides, if this block can be collapsed and expanded it can be better!

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum.
Habemus versus nexum.

13 Likes

@WhiteNoise: Wonderful news - thanks for this!

1 Like

This is in insider build now.

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-9-5-insider-build/7260

13 Likes

Could someone show me an example of this being used?

1 Like

Here’s a super simple one.

Edit:

Preview:

Using the Minimal theme (Minimal Theme)

2 Likes

It looks that in the editing mode, the block reference will not be readable.

I assume that will improve once we have the WYSIWYG editor.

@GLight: that makes sense, a block reference is just a link, after all.

I didn’t see this one coming! So what else have the devs been silently working on? Cold fusion?

7 Likes

This must be how they do it in Roam. Funny as hell, though.

1 Like

if you use [[note_name#title]] rather than ![[note_name#title]], in both the editing mode and the preview mode, you get a readable content which is self-described. But with something like this, well, I guest the ![[]] or [[|some text]] are the only possible ways to use it :joy:

Perhaps, I’d like to excerpt the content from the other note directly or take the content as a footnote.

@GLight: I have not had any readable content with any form link in Edit mode. Unless, we’re not talking about the same thing. The only thing I get is the text of the link itself, and only in Preview is rendered, whether that be a link with or without a ! in front.

You just remind me about a bug that I has reported. Since the block reference is a link to a line in the other note, maybe the insiders can do me a favor to see if the bug is also valid for block reference.

1. create a note-a
  2. In the note-a, create a block reference link to an item in a list within note-b.
  3. change note-a to preview mode, and click the block reference link.
  4. in the new windows(also in preview mode), I want to know is it the item being highlighted or the entire list is highlighted?

Oh, I understand.

As one can always give a name to a link by [name](link), the text of the link is not have to be readable.

It seems that I confused [[]] with []().

In the example I posted, the todo’s block ID was randomly generated. You can also append your own to the end of a line. ^likethis

I could then write ![[this note#^likethis]]* to get at it, and you can use custom IDs to infer what the item contains while in edit mode.

(*incoming syntax change for block as we experiment in Insider: the links will soon require #^ instead of just # so that they’re more apparent and block IDs are more easily searched, among a few other benefits; thanks to Insiders for the feedback!)

2 Likes

@Licat

Why
[[Filename#^blockid]]
And not
[[Filename@blockid]]

Sorry to revive a closed topic

From the Insider channel on Discord:

The main rationales for the change from [[Filename#blockid]] to [[Filename#^blockid]] are:

• Makes it easier to search, potentially outside of Obsidian.
  • Makes it more obvious and distinguished that it’s a block reference, helps scripting/batch processing.
  • If you end up going back to change the block id, you won’t get auto-complete for headings.

Why # at all?

Because # is the character we use across the app to split a URL into the “path” and the “subpath”
It’s also the character URLs uses to signify anchors

1 Like

thanks

1 Like

How about to use ::: to specify a complex block content(simlar to pandoc)? like this:

::: ^a_block_id
 we have a paragraph.

and a table:
| a | b | 
|:-:|:-:| 
| c | d |

and a formula:

$$
E = mc^2
$$
:::
2 Likes