Tab to Autocomplete path parts in Quick Switcher and move file

I would love some functionality like this. I often create directories because of a typo.

I’ll keep this thread watched and post any workarounds I may encounter. Has anyone here found anything that is similar to the described experience OP mentions?

Use case or problem

I heavily use the quick switcher to create notes in folders and subfolders. To do this I type the entire path of the note I want to create and use Shift-Enter or Shift-Ctrl-Enter

Proposed solution

Since there are already suggestions for notes, make pressing Tab complete to the folder of the selected note.

Example

Suppose I have a folder “software” with a note “obsidian” in it. Now I want to create a note “software/linux”.

1. Ctrl-O to open quick switcher
  2. type: soft
  3. it shows and selects software/obsidian
  4. press Tab
  5. the typed soft completes to software/
  6. it still shows and selects software/obsidian since it still matches
  7. type linux and press Shift-Enter (Enter would also do, if nothing matches)

This could also make it possible to filter while opening new files.

Current workaround (optional)

Type the entire path (correctly). If I mistype I get a new folder (which is a wanted feature in case I need a new directory)

8 Likes

Created my account just to put a like because this is such an important feature. Bump! (loving Obsidian to bits btw)

It’s a crucial feature, how can we help develop it?

2 Likes

I have been missing this feature since day one of my Obsidian journey. Please, please implement. :pray: :smile:

1 Like

This is a really important feature. Currently I have to keep my folder name abbreviated to use quick switcher to create file smoothly, but when I have 20+ abbreviated folders, it usually takes me a few secs to recall how a certain thing is abbreviated. Really painful.

This would be good enough for me, and seems easier to implement.

I made a quick work around here. LINK
It should exactly work like what you have talked about, but a ‘Tab’ version.

1 Like

I’m actually so happy right now that, I not just found a thread about exactly my problem, I found a post, that in the cleanest style expresses exactly how i want the problem to be solved. I even have a folder called “software”, :sob: i feel so understood.

Big fan. Ty.

1 Like

Hello, I find the way of creating files inside folders with the structure <folder>/<subfolder>/<file> very useful, but when I want to create a file in a specific folder (not necessary the same folder) I have to type the whole route or (if I have the option activated) navigate to the folder and then create it.

It would be nice to be able to create files in folder just typing the folder, selecting from the list and press tab to autocomplete the input with the route of the selected file, and then replace the name of the file used to autocomplete for the name of the new file.

What do you think? I think it can make the process easier and faster, don’t you?

I suggest a global setting that says “Show Folders in Autocomplete” as a solution. This setting should make folder names searchable, visually distinct and change the “Enter” behavior when selecting folders. Make it so that when you press Enter on a folder, the full folder path gets inserted and the cursor stays at the end of the path (instead of jumping to after the bracket). Demonstration:

Existing Path: Information / Notes / Podcasts / Huberman / Meditation.md

Expected output when selecting “Podcasts” and pressing Enter:
[[Information/Notes/Podcasts/%CURSOR%]]

Expected output when selecting “Meditation” and pressing Enter:
[[Meditation]]%CURSOR%

This does not reduce functionality and makes it easier to add folders and sort files on the go.

A Redditor has posted a partial workaround. Unfortunately, the workaround does not address if you want to CREATE a new folder in-line. Reddit - Dive into anything

1 Like

Just registered to THANK YOU A TON! :slight_smile: :heart:

This is exactly what I have been looking for as well. Would very much improve QoL using Obsidian since I use nested folders. Without this creating notes from the quick switcher is not useful at all, unfortunately.

1 Like

How do I upvote for this?

Press the heart under the main post.

Related: When moving to another folder, autocomplete suggestion on tab press

For consolidation purposes, there is a clear appetite for improved file creation as a core feature, based on the following related help requests and feature requests:

3 Likes

I was just about to create this again, as a tool to open a note in a folder of my choice.

I think the logic can wastly simplified though, and still be very useful. I imagine doing a search, and when hitting the Tab key it autocompletes either to the full folder (or the full path) of the entry which is highlighted. This would allow for us to do fuzzy searches for the folder, and get the completion right away.

So please implement this soon! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much for such a detailed writeup. Explains it perfectly (and I want it in Obsidian dearly)

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE

(actually I do)