When moving to another folder, autocomplete suggestion on tab press

Use case or problem

I use the quick command menu to move the current file to a folder, like Folder/Subfolder/SubSubFolder. If I have many subfolders, it is cumbersome to navigate with the arrows until I reach the expected subfolder, or to write the whole thing down.

Proposed solution

As i search, the fuzzy search already shows matching options. I could select Folder as I type “Fo”, press TAB to fill in the search “Folder”, add after that “/Su”, then press TAB again to fill in “Folder/Subfolder”, type in “/SubSu” and by this point the suggestion is already at the right subfolder and I press ENTER. Tab should fill in the current suggestion, just as it does while I am adding an internal link, where I press TAB and then add the # symbol to point to a header inside the destination note.

9 Likes

This would be very helpful to have. Other than the issue in the original post (finding a specific subfolder among many), it would also be helpful when moving a note to a new subfolder.

The ideal process for me:

1. Open command palette
  2. Bring up “Move current file to another folder”
  3. Use fuzzy search to bring a particular folder near the top of the list
  4. Use arrow keys to highlight the folder
  5. Press TAB to copy the full path of the highlighted folder to the search bar (NEW)
  6. Type the name of the new subfolder I want to create
  7. Press Shift-Enter to create the new folder

Currently, without step #5, I have to type the full path to the new subfolder I want to create before pressing Shift-Enter to create the folder (and move the file).

1 Like

Related: Tab to Autocomplete path parts in Quick Switcher