Create new note into selected folder

We strongly recommend you to search the forum with possible keywords before making a new feature request. If your request is very similar to an existing one, consider liking it and/or making a comment rather than making a new one. Once you’ve searched and determined that this is a new request, delete this line.

Use case or problem

when I create a not it is always created in the root, but not in the folder I’m working on at that time. Therefore I have to move it as well. Why not creating a not at the location you are working

Proposed solution

Current workaround (optional)

Related feature requests (optional)

4 Likes

Hi @Remco, you can set the “Default location for new notes” option to “Same folder as current file”

Also,if you right-click on the folder you want and choose New note, it will be created in that same folder

There are previous posts requesting a feature on this same topic, maybe you could check them:

2 Likes

You can define, in the settings, where new notes should be saved. If you chose your current folder as default location, any new note will be created in the folder you are currently working on.

1 Like

I don’t think an option is saving to currently selected folder. The only option is “Same folder as current file”. If I don’t have a file open, but I’ve selected a folder in file explorer, I’d like the keyboard shortcut to create a new note to create it in that folder.

1 Like

As I understand it, there’s no notion of a “current folder”. The closest you can get is the folder that the currently selected note is in. This would be handy not just for adding notes to a current folder but also for searching for just folders, not notes. Or filtering folders in the sidebar. I’d really like to be able to do this.

1 Like

Good idea! Either of these requests could accomplish this:

Thanks!

Just started with Obsidian and I would also love this feature. The interface is familiar to VS Code and having similar folder selection and file creation behavior feels intuitive to me. Love the product!

I don’t think you can “Select a folder” in the file explorer–like you can in mac or windows. I would like to be able to select folders for “whatever I press next”.

I would prefer being able to “select a folder” which then I can delete or create a new note in or new folder using top menu buttons (or hotkeys)