Let hotkeys work on selected item in File Explorer

Use case or problem

There are many commands that would be helpful to be able to trigger directly on the selected item in the File Explorer pane.

Proposed solution

Let hotkeys work on the selected item in File Explorer.

Current workaround

You can either open the note and press the hotkey or use the right click button in order to access these commands.

Related feature requests

4 Likes

Use case or problem

I recently installed Obsidian, and I was really disapointed when I realized I cannot delete a file or a folder by selecting it in the explorer and then pressing Delete key.
Then I tried to rename a file with F2 key and the same thing happened, nothing.

Proposed solution

Add the missing “traditional” shortcuts : F2 to rename file or folder and DEL to delete.
It would be nice to also add a shortcut to create a new folder in the explorer

Current workaround (optional)

Use your mouse.

5 Likes

I don’t know about renaming, but at least “delete current file” is customizable under the Hotkeys menu. (Because the file explorer doesn’t take keyboard focus, you can’t really set “delete” as a hotkey—that’s deleting things in the currently selected file.)

eta: And “Edit file title” is in there too—set by default to F2, it seems. It may not look like it’s renaming because it would happen in the title bar, not in the file explorer list. I sympathize, because it feels like weird file explorer behavior to me as well, but the keyboard shortcuts do work.

3 Likes

Yes, these allover used shortcuts are a must have.

Also: <Shift - Arrow down> and <Shift - Arrow up> to expand/reduce the selection of files in the file explorer.

(Workaround: <Shift-click>)

I’m waiting too

del works

1 Like

My experience is that I click on a folder in file explorer and it is not “selected”. I cannot click it and then create a new note there or a new folder. I have to right click.

I would prefer being able to “select a folder” which then I can delete or create a new note in or new folder using top menu buttons (or hotkeys)