Automatically show folder structure in graph view

I downloaded Obsidian yesterday and like it so far. However, I would like folders to be shown in the graph view: with the folder name being the “hub” and the files being linked, or just with the files shown clustered together instead of all over the shop.

I can get this to work manually with a “hub” file per folder and up: properties (or plain links) in every file, but would rather it be automatic.

I gather that this is only possible with a community plugin. Which are recommended as being reliable and safe?

I found a few forum topics asking for the same thing or discussing plugins:

Hi George!!

Full disclosure first: I’m the developer of Vault Orrery, one of the topics you linked, so I’m biased. But your description is pretty much why I built it, so here’s an honest rundown.

What it does for your case

  • Every folder becomes a “star” (the hub you described) and its notes orbit around it automatically. You don’t need hub files or up: properties.
  • Notes from the same folder stay clustered together, so the layout follows your folder structure instead of being scattered all over the place.
  • Your normal links are still drawn between notes on top of that. They come from Obsidian’s own link index, so aliases, embeds and inline #tags all count.

On “reliable and safe”

Try it before installing: there’s a browser demo that runs the same engine. You can drop a folder of markdown onto it, and nothing gets uploaded: VAULT ORRERY II

Caveats: it’s desktop-only, and since it’s 3D it’s heavier than the core graph. On a big vault, press FAST.

Happy to answer questions, and feedback is very welcome.

Thanks. I will have a look.

I like the idea that it’s a separate graph to the standard/core graph (if I understood it correctly) as I can see the benefit of sometimes ignoring folders when visualising links between files.