When I look at the graph view in Obsidian I see possibility. I see huge untapped potential. I want this thread to be a discussion about what the graph view could be.
The purpose is to eventually distill this thread in a design document that could serve as inspiration for the developers and plug-in creators.
Right now, the graph view feels secondary to the main experience. I’m particularly interested in ways to make the graph view integral to the experience. To be able to navigate it, and sculpt it, and visualize meaningful pathways and patterns.
We’ll discuss everything from functionality to UI to possible implementation. We’ll also discuss the best way to present our ideas.
As a side project, I will look through all existing graph-related feature requests and compile a list of them for us to use as reference.
- Graph Sculpting Operations
- Filter as You Type Graph Search
- Random Node Selection
- Node Selection Operations
- Functional Local Graph for the Big Graph
- Integration of the Local and Global Graph
- Graph Legend
- Functional Groups
- Eliminating Friction
- Interactive timeline for the timelapse animation
- Graph Navigation History
- Graph View Modes
- Graph Minimap
- Global Local Graph
- Local and Global Filters for the Local Graph
- Semi-Transparent Graph-Settings Window
- Options to change the speed of and pause the timelapse animation
- Option to set the timelapse animation as a screensaver
- Option to bring highlighted notes within the visible area
- Persistent Graph Node Preview