Alternative Checkboxes (Icon Bullets) - Copy and paste

Alternate checkboxes

Where did these originate? From @kepano , or elsewhere?

As I was playing around with them, I was craving a note where I could remember all the types, see what they looked like, and quickly copy and paste if needed.

Maybe you will have a similar need, so just wanted to share.

As of this post, these are the alt checkboxes in @kepano’s Minimal theme (and soon to be LYT Mode thanks to @Cecilia_May).

Copy and paste the following into a new note of yours:

Alt Checkboxes (syntax)

Use this section to remember all the types and what the syntax is:

- [ ] to-do
- [/] incomplete
- [x] done
- [-] canceled
- [>] forwarded
- [<] scheduling
- [?] question
- [!] important
- [*] star
- ["] quote
- [l] location
- [b] bookmark
- [i] information
- [S] savings
- [I] idea
- [p] pros
- [c] cons
- [f] fire
- [k] key
- [w] win
- [u] up
- [d] down

Alt Checkboxes (rendered)

After you copy and paste, make sure to remove the code block marks ``` so the alt checkboxes will render:

- [ ] to-do
- [/] incomplete
- [x] done
- [-] canceled
- [>] forwarded
- [<] scheduling
- [?] question
- [!] important
- [*] star
- ["] quote
- [l] location
- [b] bookmark
- [i] information
- [S] savings
- [I] idea
- [p] pros
- [c] cons
- [f] fire
- [k] key
- [w] win
- [u] up
- [d] down
4 Likes

I am not sure who the originator of the idea was (not me!). I think the syntax has existed prior to Obsidian in other tools.

The suggestion originally came on my radar via @ryanjamurphy in issue #8 of Minimal theme referencing a snippet by @death.au

Minimal’s implementation was late to the party and took inspiration from Sanctum, Primary and ITS Theme. However each theme has slightly different syntax so I tried to follow the conventions that are common across themes, and added a couple of my own.

The available options can be referenced in the Minimal Documentation

6 Likes

Noteplan has used a few specific “types” of tasks to imply that a task has been deferred or cancelled for a few years, IIRC. At least, that’s why I was originally excited by the idea of a stylable data-task attribute.

@EleanorKonik also advocated for the data-task attribute not because of the use in tasks but because it served as a way of doing bullet journal-style notations, I believe. So bullet journaling is probably another precedent!

4 Likes

Is there a way to add own types of checkboxes (e.g. any kind of emoji)?

I don’t know how, but if you know CSS and maybe other things, you can, again, don’t know how.

1 Like

Help please, I would like to cash in some help currency.

I am trying to do these styles check boxes. All I get is a regular ticked check box.

I do this - [?] and get a checked box.

My assumptions:
So is there a conflict somewhere or a missing plug-in?
And do I need to add Css, if so where?

There seems to be a missing step between installing the minimal plugin and Style Settings plugin, and then the picture checkboxes working. Can you fill in the steps or the code needed?

Obsidan version 1.0.3

Been at this for a few days. Feeling like my last brain cells vacated my head with my sanity.

If you need me to send any more information.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

You need a theme that supports this feature. The alternative checkboxes are not supported in the default theme.

is there a way to for us to add our own alt checkbox?
maybe through css snippet?
if you could point me what to learn for prerequisites that would be helpful.
also what icon are you using for this alt checkbox?