Alternative Checkboxes (Icon Bullets) - Copy and paste

Alternate checkboxes

Where did these originate? From @kepano , or elsewhere?

As I was playing around with them, I was craving a note where I could remember all the types, see what they looked like, and quickly copy and paste if needed.

Maybe you will have a similar need, so just wanted to share.

As of this post, these are the alt checkboxes in @kepano’s Minimal theme (and soon to be LYT Mode thanks to @Cecilia_May).

Copy and paste the following into a new note of yours:

Alt Checkboxes (syntax)

Use this section to remember all the types and what the syntax is:

- [ ] to-do
- [/] incomplete
- [x] done
- [-] canceled
- [>] forwarded
- [<] scheduling
- [?] question
- [!] important
- [*] star
- ["] quote
- [l] location
- [b] bookmark
- [i] information
- [S] savings
- [I] idea
- [p] pros
- [c] cons
- [f] fire
- [k] key
- [w] win
- [u] up
- [d] down

Alt Checkboxes (rendered)

After you copy and paste, make sure to remove the code block marks ``` so the alt checkboxes will render:

- [ ] to-do
- [/] incomplete
- [x] done
- [-] canceled
- [>] forwarded
- [<] scheduling
- [?] question
- [!] important
- [*] star
- ["] quote
- [l] location
- [b] bookmark
- [i] information
- [S] savings
- [I] idea
- [p] pros
- [c] cons
- [f] fire
- [k] key
- [w] win
- [u] up
- [d] down
4 Likes

I am not sure who the originator of the idea was (not me!). I think the syntax has existed prior to Obsidian in other tools.

The suggestion originally came on my radar via @ryanjamurphy in issue #8 of Minimal theme referencing a snippet by @death.au

Minimal’s implementation was late to the party and took inspiration from Sanctum, Primary and ITS Theme. However each theme has slightly different syntax so I tried to follow the conventions that are common across themes, and added a couple of my own.

The available options can be referenced in the Minimal Documentation

5 Likes

Noteplan has used a few specific “types” of tasks to imply that a task has been deferred or cancelled for a few years, IIRC. At least, that’s why I was originally excited by the idea of a stylable data-task attribute.

@EleanorKonik also advocated for the data-task attribute not because of the use in tasks but because it served as a way of doing bullet journal-style notations, I believe. So bullet journaling is probably another precedent!

3 Likes

Is there a way to add own types of checkboxes (e.g. any kind of emoji)?

I don’t know how, but if you know CSS and maybe other things, you can, again, don’t know how.

1 Like