A way to organize that makes sense to me

What I’m trying to do

Hello I am moving from Apple Notes, I have a monthly note that I continuously add to. One feature I wish that I could have would be to tag individual phrases in order to categorize the information and expand upon it, for instance, if I had a lyric idea I could tag the phrase “Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit” with the tag Lyric Idea. Now I don’t want the tag to show up within the note but would like the phrase property to reflect when searching by the tag. Maybe I could even have a highlighted phrase corresponding to a specific hex code representing a tag. eg. red highlight = music.

Things I have tried

As I know there are various community plugins but I’m not sure which is the best. I’ve tried to use the footnotes community plugin which seems promising but I would like the footnote to be a tag and to be invisible. Am I going about this correctly or am I needlessly complicating it? One thing I haven’t yet utilized is linking, how would that fit into my workflow? The goal is a monthly note that contains many fleeting ideas to be further developed.

Hiding tag

If you want to hide your #tag you can put them to property tags (use ctrl + ; or cmd + ; to show properties).

Mark music

The easiest way is to add emoticon to title.

Workflow

Create monthly note and use link [[Idea1]].
You can show whole content of linking note by using ![[Idea1]] or only piece ![[Idea1#poem]].

Hiding tag

If you want to hide your #tag you can put them to property tags (use ctrl + ; or cmd + ; to show properties).

Would it look something like this? I’ve added a bunch of tags I might use to the properties tag pane though they still appear when I create them next to a block of text. It would be ideal if the block of text would be highlighted or indicate that the text corresponds to a tag.

For emoticons how would I search for them within the browser?

Workflow

Create monthly note and use link [[Idea1]].
You can show whole content of linking note by using ![[Idea1]] or only piece ![[Idea1#poem]].

This is probably the one I need the most clarification on, so in effect, I would add links [[Idea1#poem]]next to blocks? And when you say show the whole content of linking the note is the “!” a command? I apologize as I’m still pretty new.

If hiding the tags in only reading view is enough, you can put them in Obsidian-style comments: %% #example %%.

Workaround 2

>[!tip] %% #important %% aaa
>bbb
>ccc

Workaround 3

Inside note:
[text](%% #music %%)

Monthly note:
Gather all lines with tag music

```query
tag: music
```

Use inline fields

Another option would be to use a dedicated inline field to catch all your lyric idea. See the following example:

... if I had a lyric idea I could tag the phrase (LyricIdea:: Lorem ipsum), and then keep on talking about something else...

This would then allow for dataview to collect all ideas when you feel like it into a list of idea. Using normal parentheses will hide this field name from the note when previewed or reading mode. And if you’re so inclined you could also style these using CSS.

If styling using CSS, I would recommend switching to [LyricIdea:: Lorem ipsum], as it is then easier to target both the field name and/or field value. This would allow you to hide the field name, and still to change the appearance of the field value for your lyric ideas.

Using custom tasks

Yet another option is to use custom tasks, see Alternative Checkboxes (Icon Bullets) - Copy and paste - #10 by holroy, where you could then do something like:

- [L] Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

And then have a dedicated icon for the lyric ideas. These would stand out a little more in your note, but when queried through some task query you would also get a link directly to where you had that idea. And if you used more letters, maybe lower-case l, you could use that to signify a lyric idea which you’ve completed or are “done with” somehow.

As indicated in the other thread, these tasks can be styled however you want them styled.

If you want easy linkage between queries and ideas, I’d opt for the latter solution. If you want the ideas to blend in with their original note, but still maintain easy searches for them I would opt for the first idea using inline fields.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.