Add support for Definition Lists

+1 - I’d also love to see this

2 Likes

+1 for me! It will be also pretty useful for “indentation writing”, which not exist in Obsidian.
(I need to use some latex to create it…)

4 Likes

+1 also, this could be used as an user vocabulary list. if it used in documents it can popup and say what it was

2 Likes

+1, this would be incredibly useful for taking notes in classes

4 Likes

+1 This seems fundamental

4 Likes

I also support this feature!

2 Likes

Adding my vote to this feature request

2 Likes

any news with lists?

1 Like

This seems incredibly useful. Would love to have this. Created an account just to post this.
Thanks obsidian, best app!

4 Likes

would also love this, since I use Obsidian primarily for language learning.

2 Likes

+1 as well, would love to use this to have a neat list of well-formatted definitions!

2 Likes

+1

Also, seems there is a consilience of need for this type of function across multiple topics and threads.

Definition lists, asides, annotations, descriptions, disambiguations, references, etc. all requesting this very function:

• the ability to provide in-line, readable, UI-friendly, and linkable meta-descriptions about a singular term, at the instance of its use.

See similar topics:

Is there another way of understanding this long-unsolved need?

Also, Gwern!

Removed duplicates 

It seems there’s either a solution that others use natively, or a disconnect in the understanding of potential value that must explain why this is such a neglected topic/function?

Plez Obsidi-wan Kenobi…

You’re our only hoep!

3 Likes

Does temp fix allow for links within list?

Does this allow for linking from within the HTML dd/dt?

+1

This would be a great feature for note-taking. I’d use it a lot for taking literature notes.

1 Like

+1
This would be really good. I’m surprised it’s had this much interest for so long and hasn’t been implemented yet.

2 Likes

Yas! ^This!

'nother +1

+1
would love to use it for making flashcards for learning languages <3

1 Like

+1 Love to pitch in on this again.

For me, definition list is vital for personal knowledge management and should be built into Obsidian. It is a concise and formatted way to provide clean definitions (including paragraphs, code blocks, equations, etc.) to terms, that lists and tables cannot substitute.

It is part of the extended markdown syntax and has been implemented in many markdown systems as people have pointed out already. Compared to callouts, this should be a relatively easier implementation for something so important and overdue. Love to see the result when the great Obsidian team delivers!

2 Likes

+1

This feature would be helpful for generating glossaries.

4 Likes