Add support for Definition Lists

Really useful, I want that

If this workaround allowed for using [[ ]] links within the HTML styling, it might get us most of the way to useful.

Unfortunately, dl/dt/dd does not allow Obsidian-style links.

Have tried a few other sloppy HTML/CSS hacks like sup/sub to include inline definitions with links back to the terms, but the first-principles goal of inline, intra-file, at the level of individual terms (not the inside-the-box, webpage-proxy, whole page or nothing-type) disambiguation remains unsatisfied.

Methinks thar be a disconnect in jargon that’s preventing this essential though apparently as-yet unmet function from being realized.

Alas, my Mr. Meeseeks keeps on seekin’…

1 Like

Two years since initial request, no comment from the developers. I guess this is so far back on the back burner that it fell off the stove.

2 Likes

Callouts are clunky…

And they seem to reenforce the webpage-proxy-cognitive frame (e.g. edit → preview → display | separating the inseparables of content from its context or creation from its usage), which limits development of broader, more robust, yet more essential/rudimentary tools for managing knowledge in Obsidian.

Seems we’re in search of a single, simple solution to multiple, complex problems/use cases.

It’s this kind of low-hanging fruit, the direct inverse of a “solution looking for a problem,” that precedes its “plucking.” Either via paradigm shift within a product or its corollary, market disruption without.

Or I suppose there’s the tragic third option for the fruit of frame-bound problem-solving: withering on the vine.

Forgive the nihilistic polemic. Must’ve poured too much Nietzsche in my morning coffee…

That is true…

To your point, 40+ post-count thread with healthy mix of VIPs, insiders, supporters, and members über-interlinked with similar threads, yet no direct comment from Devs is out of character for this forum and the Obsidian Community writ large.

Perhaps an @WhiteNoise is in order?

1 Like

We try to follow commonmark and they haven’t accepted this extension yet.
Regardless, at a certain point there will be a a major rework of the the parser libraries we use (both first party and third parties). At that time, we will look into definition lists.

There are no ETAs on when this will happen and this is not short term task. I am sorry.

I think the use case present in this FR can be resolved with the even more powerful implementation of Native support for Inline attributes

8 Likes

Much thanks for the response and explanation @WhiteNoise !

Seriously and sincerely.

Obsidian Community, woot!

1 Like

@WhiteNoise thank you for your reply, but I’m not sure if the request linked would fulfill the purposes described here. A definition list is just another form of list rendered to HTML (similar to a bulleted list

and numbered list
      ) and as others have suggested should be a fairly simple implementation with the right parser. The liked feature request sounds like it’s more for defining variables since I believe that’s what YAML would be used for.

6 Likes

It would also be cool if it was possible to preview the definition like the headings. For example
![[Definition list#Demography]] or using a different sign: ![[Definition list:Demography]]

You could use a call-out like this:

>[!Note] Python
>Python is a programming language.

as a work-around. It will render like this:

2 Likes

+1 chiming in

1 Like

So, after two years this still isn’t in? Is there a reason for it?

1 Like

+1 - I’m surprised this wasn’t supported myself. This would be nice.

3 Likes

Adding my vote for term-description/definition list capabilities in Obsidian, as well

2 Likes

+1, a must need feature for taking notes as a student
Why it hasn’t been implemented after 3 years??
Made an account just for this.

2 Likes

+1, having this would be great.

1 Like

pretty please? My pup Evey also requests them. although I’m not sure how well she’d be able to use them… Even on her iBark… she’s got such a hard time typing, and gets frustrated so easily…

Terriers…

4 Likes

Yes please!!! A sore need for so many of us. Pleeeeeeease!

1 Like

+1
I miss it from MultiMarkdown in DEVONthink !

1 Like

I’m number 60 in this wishlist.

Vote for no more using plain html for this. :wink:

1 Like