Add a Depth Slider to Filtered Graph View

Use case or problem

The problem is that when the graph view filter is activated, only connections between files that match the filter are shown. There’s no way to see any depth to our filtered results.

For instance we can’t create a graph view that shows any connections to all files in a given path. If I’m a project manager and want a graph overview of files that link to the contents of my manufacturing folder, I can’t do that.

Proposed solution

Add a depth slider to the Filter section of the standard Graph View.

Note that a depth slider for the whole vault is meaningless. It would only make sense to activate the slider if there’s a filter that results in a subset of the vault.

Related feature requests (optional)

20 Likes

I definitely agree. Very well put.

I tried explaining what I believe to be a similar idea here: Ability to set global graph depth on top of filters

Thanks.

1 Like

Use case or problem

Sometimes you are tracking the networks of multiple concepts. You have them all tagged as concepts and within each of the concept tagged notes you have links to various examples of those concepts. You do not have the example notes tagged as concepts. You now would like to look at the interconnections and try to do some consolidation. However, opening multiple local graphs doesn’t quite cut it.

Proposed solution

If you could just define the concepts tag as a filter in the global graph and then apply a depth setting on top of that filter, you would be able to quickly isolate what you want to see in a way that takes advantage of the graph in a way that comparing link lists between multiple concept notes does not quite accomplish. The graph quickly shows you the multiple concepts that link to the various example notes and you can decide how you want to remove duplicity whether it be editing out aspects of one note and creating a new note specifically for those aspects or simply choosing one or another.

Sometimes it is easy to overdevelop connections when the delineation between categories is not absolute. Being able to unlink easily should be treated with as much attention as linking easily.

Current workaround (optional)

I have developed some automated ways to add and remove tags that were designed specifically for this filtering. If there were ability to automatically remove tags throughout vault, life would be easier. I guess it is time I adopt the mass search and replace technique, and simply leave the replace field empty.

Related feature requests (optional)

Although this is unrelated to my feature request, it is connected to my use case: Easily merge multiple notes

Another link more related to use case: Tag Mass Action: Add, Rename, and Delete a tag in multiple files (Tag Wrangler)

3 Likes

This should be already doable in Neo4j Graph View Plugin.
I do not now if it processes tags since I do not use them but it should not be hard for Author @Emile to add support for them since they have relatively simple syntax. They might just need to be ignored from fenced and indented code blocks.
Recognizing relationships with tags is also needed in request Option to define the hierarchical tag structure once and could be used for Show tag-connected notes in right sidebar

1 Like

Gentle +1 to this FR. :slight_smile:

This would be very useful to help explore related concepts / ideas based off an existing group (i.e. as defined by the search query).

Example: Find all the notes related to “Cooking recipes” (notes inside a same folder).

1 Like

Another +1 :smiley:

We already have Depth Slider in the side graph view (local graph). Can’t we add this with a slight modification to the same code?

2 Likes