Tag Mass Action: Add, Rename, and Delete a tag in multiple files (Tag Wrangler)

Support renaming and deleting tags. This could be from the tags pane or perhaps right-clicking a tag in note preview.

MOD-EDIT:
Related To: https://forum.obsidian.md/t/tags-assign-a-tag-to-multiple-files/9750

252 Likes

Good request, Sam, like renaming links this is an essential feature that’s needed.

15 Likes

It also appears tags are cense-sensitive currently, e.g. “#Notes” is treated separately from “#notes”.

They should IMO be case-insensitive as capitalization at the beginning of a sentence create doubled tags.

28 Likes

I like to request this feature also, sometimes I want to add emojis I find to the appropriate tags so renaming tags would really help.

4 Likes

Yes please ad this feature.

3 Likes

Whenever a tag is renamed, it should change all occurrences (similar to page names). Right now, changing a tag name creates a new tag.

17 Likes

Hi,
I’ve tried searching but to no avail. Is it possible to edit a tag and have it update everywhere? I know this happens with links.
Appreciate any help
Thanks

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible currently but would love to have this as a feature.

12 Likes

We are dealing with ordinary text files. Therefore, any program that can search for and change text in multiple documents will do.
I can remember Total Commander and Sublime.
There may be others

5 Likes

Related: https://forum.obsidian.md/t/rename-and-delete-tags/567

+1 to this! Love how page names can be changed, implement this with tags too!

4 Likes

Renaming of tags would be a total godsend.

5 Likes

Being able to rename and delete tags (and have it automatically reflected wherever the tag is used) is crucial to the usage of tags. In fact, I’d say without this, I can’t use the feature at all.

I second the suggestion to make them case-insensitive as well.

1 Like

This would also support tag deleting and renaming https://forum.obsidian.md/t/mass-search-replace/4395

3 Likes

For what its worth, I use VS Code for this kind of thing (and many other text editor functions) right now. But it would be great to have it all built-in. Its a bit of a hassle to be constantly jumping back and forth between applications.

2 Likes

+1 THIS. I hope its on the radar.

I like the way Pocket allows me to alter tags. In addition to the editing feature for all things associated with the tag of interest, we can consider a merging mechanism, if we want to rename two similar tags together, it can be done by just giving them the same name and hopefully Obsidian won’t just block us from changing it because “another tag like this already exists”, and it will just merge or agglomerate the tag count instead.

3 Likes

If it isn’t already implemented (and I just haven’t found it), this is still important…specially now that graphs support filters etc. +1

2 Likes

I would love this feature, but it doesn’t seem like it is prioritized by Obsidian. In the meantime, how do you all rename/delete your tags?

1 Like

I open the vault folder in vscode and do a global search and replace. If you dont have vscode you could try other text editing programs as well.

7 Likes

Thank you! Never thought about doing this with VScode until I read your comment.

1 Like