This is a new post of something already reported because it contained reports of different issues.
Note: the links go to discord and are only accessible for mods
These aren’t really steps to reproduce because it happens randomly.
I wrote Licat here how it happened. I included sync logs from both the phone and computer and how the note looked before and after the duplication happened. I don’t include them here because they are somewhat private.
My phone pushed a file I didn’t even have open today on the phone, my phone’s screen was off and Obsidian not open. And my phone was fully synced before I turned on my desktop before.
So my phone apparently uploaded an earlier version while Obsidian wasn’t running while I was editing the note in question on desktop.
Interestingly, it didn’t merge it but prepended an earlier version.
A version I never had on my phone because I had just created that note on desktop.
Ok, this is very interesting now. I had disabled all the battery saving features for Obsidian mobile on Android. The app was in the background (so it wasn’t completely closed) and when I just opened it it didn’t need to reload but was still on my daily note.
So Obsidian sync was running in the background on my phone. I think the last time I had obsi mobile in the foreground was at 10:11, that’s when the latest push from it was.
Therefore it received all the updates from desktop (see the mobile log) and erroneously merged the files, then pushed that version to desktop.
I only had Obsidian Sync running at that time, no other back-up or sync services.
This was Licat’s reply for my sync log.
the file was downloaded, accepted, but then the next server push it was determined to be in conflict, which it normally shouldn’t if it was just downloaded
This is not a problem with daily notes (the automatic creation), but could also happen in them because they are normal notes.
It doesn’t duplicate and merge notes which are created on one device, pushed, downloaded on another device (which doesn’t have that note open) and it does not push that older version from the phone (because the desktop version is edited at that time) back to the desktop, but only pushes to the phone.
Sometimes, there is a duplication of content, shortly after the created file has been pushed on desktop and downloaded on the phone, which is then uploaded from the phone (although the version on desktop is newer because it is edited at that time) and then merged on the desktop.
- Operating system: Manjaro Linux
- Obsidian version: At the time it happened it could have been either 0.12.10 or the next mod version
- Obsidian mobile version: 1.0.4
My computer was connected via Ethernet, my phone via Wi-Fi and was about 1m away from the router. I’m wondering whether this could have something to do with latency/slightly different time on devices.