Perlite - publish your Notes to your own Web Server

I searched for alternative way to publish my notes to my own web server. And this without converting anything extra to html or so on.

My goal was, to just take my Vault and drop it into my www root directory and the hole site should build up by itself.

As I couldn’t find any suitable solution, i decided to create my own: Perlite

Maybe there is someone else who have a need for this, so I decided to share this with you: GitHub - secure-77/Perlite: A webbased markdown viewer optimized for Obsidian

BR,
sec77

29 Likes

Wow, great! Thanks alot :smile:

You are welcome :slight_smile:
If you have any feature requests or idea to make it better, just let me know!

BR,
sec77

1 Like

You two should talk : Profile - Amlan - Obsidian Forum

2 Likes

Hi jdeas,
yea i already took a look at this solution, its a different approach to reach the same goal. Iam not sure if there is a way to merge this two different solutions but maybe if i have some time i will take a closer look an get in contact with Amian :slight_smile:

Thanks for the idea!

BR,
Sec77

1 Like

Hey,
just want to let you know that i have released a new version, links to other files and pdf are now working and also some other little changes:

• added support for inplace links
  • added support for PDF files / links
  • changed inplace image behavior
  • new logo
  • added favicon
  • adjust image view in about modal
  • changed “About” behavior
  • added changelog
  • outsourced docker instructions from readme
  • changes link behavior (added link get parameter to fix problems with unwanted queries)
  • removed “not allowed” content
  • added cookie for theme settings
  • adjust mobile margins

BR,
sec77

4 Likes

Hello. Is there a way to make it noob friendly ?

Hey @ChillWithDali

Depends on what you mean with “noob friendly”. There are some settings that you can adjust but per default it works without any code changes.

At least you need a Webserver with PHP where you can put the content of the /perlite folder in it, in the same folder you can put your Obsidian Vault and the page will build up by it self.

If you have any idea how to make this more simply, please let me know.

BR,
sec77

This looks great.

I really want to be able to publish sites privately that are protected behind a login.

(i.e. checks a list of users and passwords and only lets authenticated people load the site)

Any chance you will be able to implement that?

I could do it using Apache and .htaccess but it’s a very ugly solution.

2 Likes

Hey @TimJJ,

Thanks for your feedback. I already thought about such implementation for specific folders in the Vault. But something like that would require a lot of more effort because you need some kind of backend system to administrate this access and rules, a session management, bruteforce prevention and so on… So to be honest, right at this moment i am not planing to implement this feature in the near future.

If you only want to restrict the access to the whole vault i would recommend some kind of infrastructure based authentication like .htaccess or mutual authentication or something like that.

BR,
Sec77

This is absolutely essential, and with a blockchain payment system we create a new decentralized industry: vault subscriptions.

You can make those web .md notes embedded with iframes from CryptPad and the user will only manually give access (read only) to those you want after a simple email registration. It’s really simple if the user is allowed to choose whether to embed certain .md notes from CryptPad (or other services) on the website, I think.

Hello @Nils.Srvd
Thanks for your idea, but I don’t think this is easy to achieve. Perlite doesn’t just display provided .md files, so you can’t easily view them via iframe. Each .md is parsed by the PHP engine and the markdown is translated into HTML, so PHP without an interface (e.g. to CryptPad) does not know which user has access to the file or not.
Also keep in mind that the free CryptPad plan only gives you 1GB of storage.

Access restrictions, based on single .md files could be implemented, for example with some special prefix in the filename or content, but then the next question is, should the file name be displayed in the navigation? What about the parent folder? Also without a database in the backend you cant handle multiple useres or different access levels.

One way to create a private space would be: create two main folders or vaults, one private and one public, and then separate them with two perlite instances and two nginx vhosts, secure the vhost configuration for the private one with a client certificate authentication (mutal authentication). Then provide the certificate to the users you want to grant access to. Alternatively, extend the private Perlite instance with a simple http authentication.

But Perlite is open source, so feel free to fork it and implement any authentication or third-party service if you like.

BR,
Sec77

2 Likes

Hey,
just want to let you know that i have released a new version, Perlite does now have a Graph implemented and got a fresh redesign.

• updated highlight.js to 11.4.0
  • updated Bootstrap JS files to 5.1.3
  • changed default (dark) theme from darkly to Bootswatch theme “slate”
  • removed the flatly theme, a11y-light theme and disabled the “light mode”
  • many layout redesigns like
    • changed the header size
    • moved the searchbar to the navbar
    • added Nerd Fonts as default Font
    • added a right navbar for the graph
    • highlight current navbar entry
    • set focus on current navbar entry if called by a link
    • other small layout changes
  • added separated scrollbars for navbar and content
  • added rel=“noopener noreferrer” attributes for external links
  • added icon for external links
  • added a visual graph via vis.js
    • metadata.json parsing (only adds nodes if they really exists in the folder structure)
    • show graph and direct links for every note in the right navbar
    • added modal for full graph view
    • added filter (hide nodes without link) in the full graph view (saved via cookie)
  • improved the search
    • enabled case insensitive
    • included filename for the search
    • removed the “open recent search” (because its unnecessary)
  • updated the Readme
  • updated the Demo Documents

BR,
sec77

5 Likes

@secure77 not sure if I should report this here or on github, let me know your preference.

I’ll start here and if you prefer to move to github, I’ll log an issue there.

I tried Perlite on my local machine, move my vault to root, add perlite code there and it opens, Viola, it’s magic!! :slight_smile:

However, folders doesn’t expand, when I click on folder, I got this error in browser console:

Uncaught DOMException: Document.querySelector: '#1.-Projects-collapse' is not a valid selector
    i index.js:64
    <anonymous> collapse.js:318
    n event-handler.js:119

Any advice to resolve this?

Hey @rami.sedhom,

please create a issue for this on github and attach an example of your folder structure.

It seams that javascript have a issue with some chars in your foldername, maybe i need to escape some chars, but this should be not a big issue.

Thanks for you feedback!

Sec77

1 Like

I actually have the same idea @secure77. I think it should be simple as dropping in a folder of mark down file and have it published on your own server.

I made similar solution using NextJS with some basic feature like Obsidian Publish

• Obisidian Wiki Link style
  • Folder/File Navigation Side Bar

I’d love to hear more feedback to improve it.

Thanks.

Hi, Secure77
Thanks for sharing your great work.
Is it possible to make Perlite work on Netlify or some alike services?
My programming skills are quite low, so I couldn’t get to make it work unfortunately. Is there a chance that we could get some more detailed instruction on installing and running Perlite?

Hey @Poznyak,

Unfortunately I don’t know the system or provided information about Netilify, but I know Perlite does usually work on a shared Hosting service. I think best option would be to join the Perlite discord server and maybe we can help you there to get it running.

BR.
Sec77

Hi @secure77
I understand that Perlite only uses dark mode… Is there any plan for a light mode ?