Minimize Panes

Context

Seeing that work is being done on a more efficient pane management UX, in this case dragging a note link over a pane to replace the pane, has inspired me to highlight some other QoL improvements that I think would go a long way towards bringing Obsidian’s multitasking & pane management UX into closer parity with Roam (the benchmark imo).

I want to get to an end state where I can navigate through dozens of panes frictionlessly, including comparing 100 notes to 1 note, or bringing any two notes up to compare, at the speed of thought. This is not currently the case.

Request

At first glance this seems like a duplicate of Minimizing panes into side bar, however, where that request is looking to move notes aside into the sidebar, I am looking to minimize the panes in place (simply hide the body of the pane, showing only the title), to be used with @death.au’s Sliding Panes plugin.

If paired with a future vertically-scrolling sidebar version of @deathau’s Sliding Panes plugin, this would replicate Roam’s pane navigation scalability. We could open up dozens/hundreds of panes in the sidebar and simply minimize the panes we’re not currently focused on.

This feature should come with some new hotkeys:

• Minimize current pane
  • Minimize all other panes

Related feature requests (that combined will replicate Roam’s UX)

5 Likes

This the kind of things that would deserve to be prioritized. The UI/UX Obsidian core needs dramatics improvements and the ones listed above would have a significant impact
on this.

1 Like