Activate existing pane for a note rather than opening in active or new pane

There are several cases where I am opening or searching for a note, and since it’s already open in an existing pane, I would prefer that pane be activated rather than opening the note in the active pane or a new pane. Some examples:

1. If I already have my daily note pane open, and I’m working in a different note, when I use the daily note command, I would prefer the pane with the daily note be active rather than opening the daily note in the pane I’m working in.
  2. If I’m clicking on a link in a note and that note is already open in an existing pane, I would prefer that pane be active rather than opening the linked note in the current or new pane.

I know this request is confusing so please let me know if it doesn’t make sense to you, or if you have suggestions for clearer wording.

7 Likes

You want to direct all new openings (or link followings as in Help doc; by link clicking or Ctrl/Cmd P) to a pre-selected TARGETED pane ? … until it is de-targeted.

If so, then we share the need. In fact any one would need it in their workflow and managing of panes & layout. One example is clicking thru their todo’s (on backlinks or not).

My testings: Today the above is not doable via pane’s Pin or pane’s “Link with pane …”

That’s a great idea, but it’s not my feature request. My request is if a note is already open in a pane, and I open it via a link or hotkey, then activate the existing pane, do not open the note in the active pane.

1 Like

Ok let me “refactor” my reply above into a feature request
Open all links in a targeted pane

1 Like

I just submitted two feature requests that I view as related to this, because they’re all QoL improvements that would make pane navigation much more frictionless than it currently is (up to par with Roam).

I would love to see a concerted push to roll out all of these pane management improvements, which I view as being more important for Obsidian’s UX than more popular features like WYSIWYG.

One use case, proposing some good details which could be integrated into this/single request:

1 Like

This is the single most frustrating thing that keeps me from onboarding Obsidian for regular use.

I will have lots of notes open at once.
When searching or clicking links I wish to
→ NAVIGATE to the OPEN NOTE,
–NOT-- REPLACE my current work pane (open note I am currently in), AND
–NOT-- OPEN NEW PANE for the already open note.

I really wanted to onboard this application as a daily driver, but without this functionality, the interface/usage is way too chaotic, and a lot of time gets wasted, so I only us it for fairly banal things, and even then, not often.

Not trying to bash the devs, they are great folks. It simply is what it is.