Each option has it’s use-cases.
- in new pane in order to preserve a workspace in Obsidian, just like opening html file does not close tabs in internet browser.
- in active pane in order to preview one-by-one links from other application which is open side-by-side with Obsidian, just like current browsing search results within Obsidian.
E.g. checkbox in settings “open obsidian:// links in new pane”.
Also, add two hotkeys to change proposed setting conveniently in real time.
With one toggle hotkey it would be complicated to set reliably e.g. by AutoHotkey script.
Missing. Link always activates Obsidian and replaces file open in active pane (tested in v0.9.10 with custom css).
Related feature requests, …
- Activate existing pane for a note rather than opening in active or new pane
- Open all links in a targeted pane
- Url scheme focusses on already opened note instead of opening it twice
- related existing functionality: html “target” attribute. But that requires editing each link to change the global behavior (AFAIK).