Edit transcluded (embedded) notes (blocks) in place (likely requires WYSWYG first)

Allow editing a transluded document or block in place (without opening the original file)
Most likely a good implementation depends on A WYSIWYM (Typora-like) editing mode

45 Likes

Use case or problem

If I want to edit a transclusion I have to go back to the original text in the source note. That is long-winded.

Proposed solution

Enable editing of the transclusion in place so I don’t have to revert to the text in the source note.

Current workaround (optional)

None

Related feature requests (optional)

2 Likes

Use case or problem

Two use cases;

• With synced blocks, I can re-use certain snippet (text etc) across notes. Things like “Mission Statements”, “Goal Statements”, and others can be written once and shared across.

• When on my homepage or daily note, I want to be able to see my goals and tasks embedded, so when I edit them they change everywhere.

Proposed solution

• Alot of manual copy pasting and it breaks the “flow” of work
1 Like

Use case or problem

• The ability to edit transcluded blocks or queries

Proposed solution

• Logseq Has the functionality and works with an index of markdown files

• As mentioned before a lot of manual jumping around ofiiles.
  • Experimenting with pointing Logseq at an Obsidian Directory and it works pretty decently thought use of obsidian plugins breaks the workflow. a native edit mode would obviously be more idesl.
1 Like

+1 for this. Very useful feature!

I would just like to add that editable transclusions (embeds) would not only be a convenience for current workflows, but I think it would actually really open up some additional interesting and useful workflows.

RemNote has “portals” (essentially editable transclusions) and it has become a way to not just pull in relevant information from multiple sources, but also a new way of creating a kind of flexible hierarchy of notes separate from bullet points and links/back-links — imagine that each embed is a “child” or “belongs to” the note you are currently working in.

If that is to become one’s primary method of organization in Obsidian (which I think I would do) then there would have to be a few other simple supporting features:

• :white_medium_square: ability to toggle collapse of embeds
  • :white_check_mark: create embeds with keyboard shortcuts
  • :white_medium_square: in the backlist pane, potentially include titles of notes a note is included in as part of the context
3 Likes

Is there any recent update on this topic?

In addition to the ability to edit embedded blocks, I would also like to be able to edit backlinks from within the document. I am assuming that the same principle would be used for both?

Thanks!

2 Likes

No I don’t think there is any update. Does anyone know if this is even possible technically? I have heard that it might be impossible due to the nature of markdown.

Yes, this is why I haven’t stopped using Remnote. The auto-generated portals is so handy. In Obsidian I have to enter the page name then the block id to intentionally link/embed a block and then it’s not editable. If Obsidian is based on HTMLish technology, I don’t see why something like a frame (not a frame, but something like) couldn’t work. But what do I know? It must be hard or it would exist by now.

1 Like