Obsidian has trouble creating new notes from "Relative path to file" links

Steps to reproduce

• Set “New link format” in File preferences to “Relative path to file.”
  • Create a new link with a relative format (this has to be done manually, as the file doesn’t exist yet so Obsidian can’t guess your desired folder path. E.g., ../Calendar/20200803
  • Try to create a new note from the link
  • Cry

Expected result

Successful creation of the new file in the expected directory.

Actual result

An ENOENT error.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS 10.15
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.1

Additional information

Oddly, new note creation in the desired folder works perfectly with Absolute paths (e.g., Calendar/20200803 instead of ../Calendar/20200803.

1 Like

there is something about the relative path that smells trubble to me. These cases of referencing something that is up the hirararchy look ugly and I am sure they are difficult to maintain.

I am going to stick with the shortest or absolute

I would if I could, but as of right now they’re the only way of navigating Obsidian links in 1Writer on iOS/iPadOS.

do you still have this 0.8.4?

Thanks for the follow up!

It appears to work IFF you write a new note as [[Test Folder/Test note]]. The “proper” format for relative notes, with a leading ../, still fails.

I have the latest version 0.10.1 and I am having the same issue. The tooltip says to Click to Create, but I get a ENOENT error. The odd thing is the error message displays the path and part of the path is missing. It shows “Path/VaultDirectory/Notes/_Index.md”. The actual path should be Path/VaultDirectory/ActiveProjects/TestProjectA/Notes/_Index.md. The file which contains the created Internal Link resides in the TestProjectA folder. My Link is defined as [[Notes/_Index|Index]]. I reviewed the settings and all looks good. What am I missing? Thanks.

ce

1 Like

I’ve got similar issues as Chuckle123.

• Win 10
  • Obsidian 0.10.1
  • Installer version 0.9.1
  • Relative path link generation

Example structure:

vault
|- a
 |- first.md
|- b
 |- second.md
 |- third.md

If I create a link in first.md for a file that does not yet exist, i.e. [[../b/fourth.md|Fourth]], and try to CTRL-click to create the file I’ll get an ENOENT error.

But, If I create the file first and then create / click on the link it opens the file just fine.

1 Like

Same Issue is there with me too. I cannot create a backlink to a file I might want to place in a specific folder. Application is trying to navigate into that file when we click into that but due to the fact that there is no file its giving us an error. Kindly asking developers to fix this issue ASAP as I like everything cleanly under folders for clutter free interface.
Just starting out Obsidian if there are any tips I would be glad to hear them.
Thank you.

It doesn’t look like you have the same problem, what’s the source of that document?