Cannot create a new note from a relative link

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a note with this content (a markdown link to a file that not exists in the vault)
    [Note](./Note.md)

2. When hovering over the Note link in preview mode, the message "./Note.md" is not created yed. Click to create. is displayed
  3. Click the Note link in preview mode

Expected result

The “Note.md” file is created in the same folder and it is displayed in both panes.

Actual result

When I click the link, the message Folder already exists. is displayed and the file is not created.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 7
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.5

Additional information

I’m used to this notation because I open my vault with other applications supporting relative markdown links, as well as Obsidian does, but they cannot deal with WikiLinks.

When the md file already exists, the relative link works fine.

Creating the link without the ./ before the name of the md file is working too, as in:

[Note](Note.md)

Please, search before posting.

Hi @WhiteNoise, I did seach before posting but the error messages were different:

• Mine says Folder already exists.
  • The one in the post you’ve linked says ENOENT: no such file or directory

I didn’t assume they were related… how could I?

The other thread was in the graveyard but without a plain answer. It’s not clear if this kind of issues cannot be fixed, or it’s too complicated to maintain, or it has already been decided by the developers that Obsidian will fail when creating notes from relative links.

I am sorry, I get your confusion!

The issues indeed the same. I suggest you follow that topic. Actually I am gonna merge your first report in that topic. Thanks for reporting.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Obsidian has trouble creating new notes from “Relative path to file” links