[Mobile] IOS : App to work with hidden folder

Hello everyone!

As a discussion about hidden folder on IOS appear regularly on the discord, I think it will be good to create a forum discussion about it.

I have two solutions in mind to work with hidden folder to access to my .obsidian.

1. Using Textastic, that is a wonderful app created by the same guy of Working Copy. Not free, but work totally with many apps, as it’s an edit text file. Here, you can bookmark a folder and access all file in it, so you can edit a note but also your .obsidian file. I use it a lot to edit my css snippet on my ipad, for example.
  2. Using a-shell : A completely free app, that get you access to a real terminal on your ipad/iphone. Bonus : it’s totally open source, and you can do a very lot of things with it : run python script, install pip script…
  3. Using Taio, a free markdown editor that allows to open hidden folder. (See comments here)
  4. iSH Shell
  5. Working Copy, in some way

A shell tutorial

For a-shell, the methods is little tricky to add your folder, so I made a video : Watch A-shell obsidian | Streamable

Thanks to Murf, here is a writted guide :

Ok so you can also do the same thing with a-shell app. After using pickFolder the Files app selector pops up (see screenshot). Then use jump to cd to the bookmark you created from the Files pop up. It will be the name of the folder (your vault) so you use “jump iPhone” in my example because my vault is named iPhone. Then the rest you can follow my replies message above to access the hidden .obsidian and plugin folders.

Also, you need to know that edit on a-shell is trough vim… So, you need to know vim.

If you know other apps/methods, please add it here!

12 Likes

Ok here is another method to access hidden .obsidian and plugin folders / directories in your vault on iPhone and iPad using iSH Shell app. It is very lightweight at only 6mb in size compared to the other options I mentioned in Discord (LibTerm and a-shell)!! Thanks again @Mara-Li for the ideas and help!

Here is what I got to work:

1. install iSH Shell iOS app (see screenshot)

2. mount your obsidian vault folder by running: mount -t ios . /mnt (this will open up Files app to select your folder)

3. select local On My Phone > Obsidian > “Your Vault Name” … in my example my vault name is iPhone (see screenshot)

4. Change to the directory with cd /mnt which will take you to the root folder of your vault (that you just selected in step 3)

5. use ls -a to see hidden directories which will show you the .obsidian folder (see screenshot)

6. now cd to the .obsidian folder and you will see your plugins folder which you can cd to as well! (See screenshot)

5 Likes

Also, a-shell mini exist and follow the same configuration as I said in my first post, but the app have 300 mo in place of 1Go.

Hello !
I discover, some days ago, that Working Copy can see hidden folder, and you can edit it directly in the app.

To get access to it you need to have a “pro” account (don’t forget that working copy is free for student) and link to a folder.

(You need to choose the entire directory. Here is mine, flow)

Tada ! You can see all hidden file and edit it in the app.

2 Likes

I found a shortcut that uses a-Shell or a-Shell mini to copy files into the snippets or themes folders: RoutineHub • Obsidian : Add CSS

1 Like

A much easier way is to use ES File Explorer (not sure about other file browsers). Add your vault to the app. Search for “.obsidian” and it will appear in search results. ES has an integrated text editor and can do all sort of file copy/move things!

1 Like

With regard to:

Using Textastic , that is a wonderful app created by the same guy of Working Copy. Not free, but work totally with many apps, as it’s an edit text file. Here, you can bookmark a folder and access all file in it, so you can edit a note but also your .obsidian file.

I got Textastic on iPad but I have been unable to access any files in my Obsidian vault Vault Admin folder. I cannot see any way to “bookmark a folder”. Please can someone explain to me in simple language (I am not an accomplished coder) how I can access the folders and files in the Vault Admin folder on iPad. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this.

Peter

In the left sidebar of Textastic, tap “Add External Folder…”, browse to your vault, and select it. Once you’ve done that, your vault folder will be listed in the sidebar. Tap it, and you’ll see the files and folders in it, including hidden ones.

1 Like

Thanks. This works, though working with this app is not very intuitive I must say.

I was also able to add a folder and add files to it using ES File Explorer, though that’s not straightforward either!

I don’t see Taio being mentioned here. Free and can access any folders, hidden or not.

4 Likes

Thank you @Mara-Li for sharing, I was having issues with that hidden folder, textastic is indeed a great recommendation.

Taio worked for me. Thanks for mentioning it here. Problem solved :+1:

2 Likes

Has anyone figured out similar for Shortcuts on the Mac?

ie. How, in Shortcuts on Mac, can I get the hidden .obsidian folder?

To show hidden folder on mac, you can do it natively:

Showing hidden files via Mac Finder

The first and easiest method is using Mac Finder to show hidden files:

1. Open the folder where you want to search for hidden files.
  2. Press the “Command” + “Shift” + “.” (period) keys at the same time.
  3. The hidden files will show up as translucent in the folder.
  4. If you want to obscure the files again, press the same “Command” + “Shift” + “.” (period) combination.
1 Like

@Mara-Li Could you add Taio to the main post (first mentioned in [Mobile] IOS : App to work with hidden folder - #10 by zanodor)? It seems like the best option for most people since it’s free and not a terminal.

1 Like

Thanks! Also thanks for the post in the first place — it helped me and I’ve sent a number of people here (and will send more, I’m sure).

1 Like

How exactly does Taio work? I’ve looked in the Obsidian file and all I see are my fault and files. No hidden folders- when I looked in “locations”.

In Taio’s file browsing sidebar tab, next to the word “Files” the top is a “…” button that opens a menu where you can enable viewing of hidden files.

That was enabled but there’s still no trash folder in my obsidian folder when I press browse iCloud. Perhaps it doesn’t work with iCloud? I have the trash folder enabled in obsidian settings.

Did you add the vault folder in Added Locations?

1 Like