Hotkey for inserting internal links for selected text.
e.g. If I select the text
New Note and press the hotkey, it becomes
Hotkey for inserting internal links for selected text.
This request for heading hotkeys wasn’t in the list at the top, linking it here for completeness:
This sounds like what I am searching for at the moment. I want to:
- Select some text within a note (via keyboard or mouse),
- execute a command (via hotkey or mouse right-click menu) which,
- creates a new note file named from the selected text,
- and modifies the selected text to link to the new file.
I am on a Mac. Perhaps I could write a Keyboard Maestro macro to do this.
There are a few plugins that tackle some of the things requested here. There’s a small running list here:
But you should also checkout the community plugins in the settings.
I wrote a KM macro for this a while back, here: Transclude Me (KM macro on OSX)
But tbh it sometimes flakes out on me.
@gtdandy the Note Refactor plugin should provide the functionality you are looking for.
@randulfr there is actually an open feature request to replace the extracted content with a transclusion of the content in the newly created note
![[extracted content note]] rather than replace extracted content with an internal link to the new note
[[extracted content note]] which is the current functionality. Feel free to comment on it.
Note Refactor does exactly what I want as it currently works. I do not want the data Transcluded, although I guess removing the bang (excuse me, “exclamation mark”) from the front of the link wouldn’t be that difficult.
I don’t know how I missed Note Refactor – I thought I had thouroughly looked through the third party plug-ins for a solution.
BTW, the reason I want this function is I often write long text notes and only see things that require a page of their own later.
I am totally disappointed, what is the use of Markdown for editor, when the App can’t be used without mouse?
I am requesting an Obsidian which is fully Keyboard-able.
I find it difficult to use mouse and keyboard at same time, was not Obsidian made keeping in mind the Programmers?.
There could be several ways:
- WASD or Arrow keys navigation like in Handsets.
- Long press
F6press the prompt numeral like in MS word.
- Full, All-Round Hotkeys to access each nook and corner.
- Combination of above.
Hoping, it will receive approval… :
Use case or problem
Please allow users to set Function keys,
key and such other keys as hotkeys without Modifiers.
This request is 100% justified.
Reasons in support:
- Mono keys are better than Combi keys. Users with physical inaccessibility will appreciate it.
- Function keys are language/Keyboard layout agnostic (=indifferent). Users who switch between RTL LTR and who use non-english keyboard, will appreciate it.
- Function keys are snappy and take less time.
- expecting some more from visitors
I invite users to share what they would like to have as defaults to Funtion Keys.
My preferred settings.
These are settings and features I prefer. Some might require new Request.
- F1 : for Syntax Help (via drop down menu) in active cursor state in Editor Mode, and Help vault in any other case.
- F2: for file rename (as earlier).
- F3: for switching between Editing and Previewing Mode.
- F4: for opening graph.
- Long Press F4: for opening local graph.
- F5: to open Settings.
- F6: Open File Tree Navigator i.e. Panes on the Left-Hand Side.
- Long Press F6: to open Starred Notes.
- F7: to Search+Replace in current focused Note. [My idea is Search+Replace will suffice for just Search.]
- Long Press F7: Search+Replace Globally across vault.
- F8: To open Quick Switcher.
- F9: To open Command Palette.
- F10: To open Panes on the Right-Hand Side.
- F11: To Start Presentation.
Here are some topics which others created in to support the arguments I mentioned above.
I request @moderators , please not to flag it as duplicate, as I am putting in effort to make it a Meta Post.
@lizardmenfromspace Could already implemented items be e.g. strike-through or grey in original post? Now it does not allow to distinguish pending requests from archived no longer relevant items without opening each link. For example:
Hotkey to toggle Pinning on/off Hotkey for opening notes in a new editor window from the quick switcher Reorder List Items with Keyboard Shorcuts Keyboard command to create markdown link
Yeah, I knew, I forgot to mention a link to yours, But this has more details, I have presented more arguments.
In addition to that it has more other hidden request,
for e.g. Currently as of 2020-12-13T18:30:00Z, Obsidian do not have an option to set Hotkey for Starting Presentation, And I have suggested one.
My bad, I gave a narrow heading. Thanks
I was searching for, how to make keyboard navigation easier, though it is not better than direct hotkey navigation, but, It will be better than using mouse.
here I will try to curate possible solutions, or JS libraries which may help to make it easier to implement.
I went ahead and strikethrough the ones you listed. I don’t mind doing this but someone has to notify me that a hotkey request has been fulfilled.
Next and previous day hotkeys in the journal would be super useful.
Exactly. What is the design choice for not allowing Function keys?
Please, add this feature request to the list:
Thanks a lot!
I’d like to be able to change the hotkeys for Next and Previous when using Find.
macOs uses cmd+G and cmd+shift+G universally for these, so F3 and shift+F3 are quite a context shift.
Hotkey for creating code blocks. I’m used to doing this in Slack with Option+Shift+Command+C
The Code block from selection plug-in provides a hotkey.
We shouldn’t need a plugin to set a hotkey for creating code blocks.
Same for this feature request: Include an option to toggle both sidebars as a hotkey. It has been archived because the proposed solution is to use a Windows-only third-party software. Well no, sidebars are UI parts and a hotkey to toggle both at the same time needs to be implemented. Can’t go in “focus mode” / “clean view” / “fullscreen” without it.