MarkDownload - Markdown Web Clipper

After I select “Always show Save As dialog,” nothing happens when I click “download” in Firefox for Mac.

Yes to this, not just because it would prevent mistakes, but because writing the whole tags for each clip ends up taking a lot of time. Now I just save clips to tag later in Obsidian with autocompletion, but of course they keep piling up.

1 Like

Sorry to insist, but do any of you run into this “problem”? how do you deal with it?. I do this:

• I edited the template and included two tags: “#webclip/article” and “#webclip/video”, then delete one when I clip something.

• It’s a start, but I have to add the rest of the tags later when (and if) I have time to review all I’ve clipped, then it is more time consuming because the content of the clip isn’t fresh in my brain and I have to go over it again

• If I don’t remember to tag them later, a lot of clips get lost in the clutter

• To me, the ideal scenario would be having a list of tags deployed in an outline (like the Tag Pane does) and just click the tags I want when I’m clipping. That’d be fast and effortless (for me, not for the developer, sorry!). Could this even be possible?

• Tag auto-completion would be the second best solution

• Copying all my tags to the template and deleting the wrong ones would be just silly

Anyway, I love this extension to no end, thanks a lot to death.au and Enrico. You deserve Fortune and Glory, guys, Fortune and Glory.

1 Like

hey can you share that pugin.
It’s a nice plugin to have. the plugin will search for specific folders and import the md files into obsidian folder specified.

Your desired functionality sounds like Evernote’s, though Evernote’s tag-while-clipping (my name for it) is tedious to use if you’ve created a lot of tags. The send-to-Evernote (their term) email feature also doesn’t let you browser your tags. You just add them to the subject line, along with a destination folder. I agree it would be great to select from your own tag set when clipping. Not sure how that could be realized.

1 Like

Once I realized I’d failed to ENABLE the prerequisite plugin, it works! Great clipper. Thanks.

Fantastic extension. It has changed the way I take notes.
Thanks

If I can suggest a feature, the possibility of saving more text selections in the same markdown note file.
I don’t know if possible, but could make it perfect.

I don’t really need in my worklow (I prefer saving the entire web article in my vault and post-process the text in Obsidian), but many other users usually take multiple web clips from the same article, they would prefer having all in the same note.

Read a thread a while ago that someone was developing this as an extension for Safari in ios. Anyone know if that happened? The Kagi browser can use firefox and chrome extensions on ios, but last I tried it wasn’t working with Markdownload.

2 Likes

Hey @death.au, is it possible to directly save the webpage into an obsidian folder?

I’ve set the rlevant Obsidian folders in the extension options and downloaded and enabled Obsidian Advanced URI but nothing is happening…

I’m on Edge

I was having a similar problem until I realized I needed to send the tab, not download it …

1 Like

Thank you @ichmoimeyo

This might be a partial solution, however it requires some extra steps I’d like to avoid: selecting the text, right clicking, scrolling down and then select the desired option.

Do you know if it’s possible to quickly and easily send the webpage to Obsidian with just one click?

For sending a webpage this method requires right-clicking, scrolling down and clicking on “Send tab to Obsidian” … but no selecting text … “hurrah” …
https://i.imgur.com/qi011BC.png
… that is why on my win 11 device I still also use the symbolic link “download” method that I describe here …

… and previously described in this very thread …

1 Like

@death.au May I suggest making the plugin capable to download all the conversation from a ChatGPT page? Sometimes the plugin sees all the conversation, sometimes sees only a part of it. Thanks for your work.

2 Likes

Extremely useful plugin @death.au . Thanks for providing it. I love that you can edit the template and also edit the content in the pop-up before it’s saved. This allows me to add any keyword tags and edit the format a little if I need to.

I really hope it continues to be developed.

With regards to having a quick way to save to my Obsidian vault, I use Default Folder X which made it easy to select the Clippings folder in my vault and assign a keyboard shortcut so it’s saved in a second.

2 Likes

I agree, this is really useful plugin, thank you for it @death.au!

And thanks for the tip @iany: I do have Default Folder X, so I can use it to put the downloads straight to the Inbox in my vault.

Are you connected with that program?

Can someone clarify me how the inegration with obsidian is supposed to work? I have it setup, but nothing happens

These steps and where to Send tab to Obsidian may help →

2 Likes

That completely fixed my problem. Someone should put a link to it or copy paste to the main readme of the extension. Thanks