MarkDownload - Markdown Web Clipper

This is an extension to clip websites and download them into a readable markdown file. Please keep in mind that it is not guaranteed to work on all websites.

The plugin is available for Firefox, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

This was forked from an older project by Enrico Kaack, but has been tweaked by me to display the markdown output before downloading it (among other features).

To use this add-on, simply click the add-on icon while you are browsing the page you want to save offline. A popup will show the rendered markdown so you can make minor edits or copy the text, or you can click the download button to download an .md file.
Selecting text will allow you to download just the selected text.

The source code is available on GitHub and Iā€™m tracking issues and features I want to work on there, but feel free to make suggestions in this thread, also.

106 Likes

Poor me, ā€œstubbornā€ Safari user :rofl:

16 Likes

great tool, worked great on Firefox.
thanks
BR

this is was great thanks a lot

3 Likes

This will save me a lot of time. Thank you!

The Chrome version has so far saved me from pain when having to ā€˜convertā€™ Atlassian Confluence pages to Markdown. Thank you!

1 Like

This works great, thanks very much.

Great, many thanks :slight_smile:

Is there any chance to save a default downloads folder for markdowns? I store them in my Obsidian/_media folder.

Many thanks for some tip/advice,

Andy

1 Like

This is my top request too, otherwise a great plugin.

2 Likes

Iā€™d also like to see the ability to edit the default format of a MarkDownloaded page above or below the given output. For example, I always want the following, with the MarkDownload grab inserted after the Text heading, and using a Heading 2 format for the title. Something along these lines would help reduce much of the formatting I do next.

# Summary
# Notes
# Links
# Text
## Headline
Text etc.
1 Like

Unfortunately I couldnā€™t figure out a way to do this. My choices are - do whatever the browser does by default or always show the Save As dialog. Canā€™t really pick a default folder or anything, sorry.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a settings page to specify the turndown (markdown conversion) options, as well as adding front- and back-matter templates which would work as you describe: https://github.com/deathau/markdown-clipper/issues/9

1 Like

This remains a very useful plugin. Appreciate it!

Another feature request: allow customization of the document title. In particular, Iā€™d like to have a YYYY-MM-DD added to the front. I think this is covered in one of your feature requests on GitHub, just voicing it again here.

1 Like

This is beautiful. Thanks a lot, it works great!

Thanks for the feedback, @icebear!
I had panned on adding the template stuff (and, in fact, had been part-way through implementing it for a while), but hadnā€™t considered adding the current date.

But now Iā€™ve gone and added it in, along with the template stuff and an options page (for the template stuff and for specifying markdown formatting options). Just need to wait for it to be reviewed by the various extension directories and the update should be out soon.

(EDIT: Firefox version was reviewed super quick and is already out!)

2 Likes

Great changes!

To clarifying, my request on the date was to allow customization of the document title (not the inline markdown text), so that itā€™s {Date} {Article title}.md

In any case, already very useful.

Feature request: batch MarkDownload all open tabs in current Firefox window - when I open up a batch of links I know I want to download, but donā€™t want to repeat the clicks on each page.

Ah. Yes I see how that would be useful. Maybe I can introduce a way to template the note title like the front-matter (and yes, I do have an issue for adding zettelkasten-style ids on titles that this would solve)

Thatā€™s not a bad idea either. Iā€™ll add a GitHub issue to track this one. Save all tabs in window Ā· Issue #15 Ā· deathau/markdownload Ā· GitHub

Me: I need a good web-clipping addon for obsidian
starts searching the internet for the best web-clipping addon
Other me: The obsidian community is smart and probably already discussed this.
Me: What a splendid idea.

Thanks for this thread. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to try this tool to quickly get the information in the web page and convert it into markdown syntax