Including Microsoft Office documents? Also, linking to folders?

My work requires me to include Microsoft Office documents in my knowledge base. Have any experienced Obsidian users found a workaround for that?

I guess one solution might be to have one folder per project, and then drop the Office files into the appropriate folder in the Mac Finder (I’m on a Mac). Then possibly create a “wrapper note” as described here:

Also, is it possible to create links to folders, just as Obsidian can link to individual notes?If not, has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks!

6 Likes

Ahoy!

No option to attach arbitrary file formats yet. There is a feature request for it—I’m actually surprised it hasn’t gotten more love:

And no linking to folders yet. Looks like yours truly created a feature request for folder linking at the end of May:

I use DEVONthink links for both of these requirements. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi!
I will show my ways to build Hyperlinks from zotero to obsidian.
First of all, you need install zotero and Microsoft Office documents could be put into it.

Use the following method to add hyperlinks
-download https://github.com/willsALMANJ/Zutilo/releases And install
-find ‘copy selected item links’ or shortcut key’ copy select item links’ in settings
-the link of Zotero can be found in the context menu or copied with shortcut keys. the link format of Zotero: ‘zotero://select/library/items/QLXHF84N’
-In obsidian, you can add hyperlinks with Ctrl + K

-In this case, as long as Zotero is synchronous, the hyperlinks can be synchronized.

5 Likes

Thanks, but that seems like too much work!

3 Likes

It’s true.
I used to use zotero, so it’s not so complex for me.
just show my way :blush: :blush: :blush:

2 Likes

maybe we can automate it using autohotkey?

sorry, I never heard that software. Maybe we should try it.
The more solutions the better we use obsidian

I dont know if you use Hook - some discussions about hook: Compatibility with Hook Productivity on Mac OS and Hook links now possible to underlying note . I use the following steps:

1. Use the newly launched show in folder option using the command palette or a shortcut (hotkeys)
  2. Trigger hook using the default shortcut for hook
  3. Copy markdown link (works for both folders and files) -
  4. paste the link in obsidian
  5. click on the link above to open the file/folder in the default app

Sounds like a lot of steps, but if you have been using hook for a while - its a very fast and useful workaround until obsidian adds hook support

2 Likes

This is too much work. Sadly as Ms Word and Excel are not supported, I am now looking for alternatives to Obsidian. Remember that the whole point is to facilitate work rather than complicating it! I thought Obsidian is doing that.

This is too much work. Sadly as Ms Word and Excel are not supported, I am now looking for alternatives to Obsidian. Remember that the whole point is to facilitate work rather than complicating it! I thought Obsidian is doing that.

This is the example of a missing productivity feature (like eg also printing) that puts Obsidian for me in the novelty toy department rather than in the productivity tool category.

I’m curious to see Obsidian further mature…

3 Likes

Did you ever find a suitable alternative?

I totally Agree with this suggestion, I thought that it is already introduced but I am shocked that it isn’t actually.

1. Obsidian is a way to store unordered information.
  2. but there are some kinds of information (like ordered information) that need to be stored in things like excel (E.g., Storing a list of Universities & their websites, emails, available degrees…).
    a. These information can be ordered in many ways (hence name “ordered information”).
    b. Using Table markdown style does not give you any kind of opportunities to list or order anything in any way, it is just a very rudimentary way of making a table. Hence It is extremly advised/recommended NOT to store ordered information in a table format.
  3. There are other kinds of information (like procedural information) which only have a single order (e.g., a technique procedures). These things require different programs to store such information; It is quite better and necessary to link to these kind of formats without “mentally” remembering things or writing them down in the notes and manually open each file.

I just gave a brief “usefulness” to having multiple formats and how is it necessary.

1 Like

Since I created this topic about two years ago, Obsidian now supports including linking to unsupported document types—Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.—when they are contained in vaults. That seems sufficient to me.

If you need more, and if you are using a Mac, you may want to consider DevonThink. Many people use DT in conjunction with Obsidian.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.