Hook links now possible to underlying note

Continuing the discussion from Obsidian Release v0.8.1 (insider build):

Thank you for the outliner plugin and now making it possible with a right-click to either open the note with a default md app, or to open the folder in which the flie is located. This makes it now possible to create a hook link ([hookproductivity.com](http://hook productivity.com)) so I can link the file to another file from another application.

3 Likes

Neat!

If I understand correctly, though, this is more a workaround than anythingā€”itā€™s not yet possible to Hook into a note inside Obsidian, right? Youā€™re creating Hook links to the file on the filesystem and then opening it in other applications?

Correct it is a workaround that was actually always possible - but this makes it easier and more elegant compared to the crude way I had to do it.

1 Like

This does require briefly opening Finder to create the Hook link, but hereā€™s a way to make it fairly painlessā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps someone better at Keyboard Maestro ā€“ @ryanjamurphy ? ā€“ can help with this:

As I just wrote, Iā€™m very happy about ā€œShow in Folder.ā€ What Iā€™d really like to use this for, however, is putting onto my clipboard a link to the current Obsidian note, so that when I navigate to another note or a create a new one, I can start by pasting a link to the note I will just have come from. Iā€™m now trying to do that (on macOS) with a Keyboard Maestro macro to do the following, but Iā€™m having trouble getting ā€œGet File Attributeā€ to work. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m looking to do:

1. From Obsidian, use the ā€œShow in Folderā€ command (I use āŒ˜āŒ„-O as a hotkey), which opens up the Finder with currently focal Obsidian note selected in Finder.
  2. Get the filename from the selected file (ideally only the ā€œbase nameā€ of the file, without the .md extension)
  3. Add Wiki-brackets to the result [[base filename]] in the clipboard (could also be done later, during the pasting)
  4. At that point, I can navigate to another note in Obsidian, and paste the link, as a bidirectional backlink.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work? Perhaps a feature request for a plugin?

@AutonomyGaps In Obsidian, there is command/hotkey named ā€œEdit file titleā€ that selects filename without ā€œ.mdā€ extension which can be copied then. (Default value is ā€œF2ā€, I use ā€œAlt+Dā€).
There is also command/hotkey ā€œCopy file pathā€.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this! Iā€™ve streamlined my KeyboardMaestro shortcut:

1. Activate ā€œEdit file titleā€
  2. Copy & return
  3. Wiki-wrap the title, in the clipboard.
    Screenshot attached of KM settings:

2 Likes