Allow [[links]] to folders

I don’t think this has been explicitly requested previously. Similar posts exist here and here, but I don’t think they’re the same as this request.

I’ll try to make it simple: if a folder exists in the vault, you should be able to backlink to it—like [[Folder]].

This would make it easier to interlace folder-and-note setups for those of us using them. It’s also in line with how DEVONthink interprets [[wikilinks]]—not sure about other wikilink-supporting apps.

22 Likes

Love this idea!

I was about to make this request and gladly found this.

Although I am not yet quite sure how helpful my new practice of keeping a note with the entire hierarchy of my vault will be, I do know that if I could link to folders, things would be a lot easier to maintain.

I have a vault Tree of Content note that simply contains a hierarchical list of my vault. It is a little bit of work, but it keeps me honest and deliberate. One thing that I struggle with is that for folders, a name change is not reflected in my Tree of Content. And since it is re alphabetically sorted within explorer, sometimes it could be temporarily lost and not easily found.

In terms of creating these folder links, perhaps with the action of dragging a folder into a note, they would be created.

Thanks.

Below is a side note that I wanted to mention because of its relevance to my use case (will gladly edit out as I definitely am not intending to complicate your clear request)

How cool would it be if you could just drag your root vault folder into a note, and the entire vault was mapped including all links to notes and folders?

2 Likes

Note that there are a combo of community plugins for this feature: Folder Note and Folder Note Rename, I think.

2 Likes

Yes please! +1

Currently it is possible to link to folder this way:
[folder](file:///C:/Users/UserName/Desktop/PathTo/MyFolder)

1 Like

Counterpoint: When you have a folder and multiple files within it with names similar to the folder now you are adding more “noise” to the search when trying to quickly add a simple link while writing a note.

Folder Note and Folder Note Rename are useful plugins but they do not address a simple link to a folder. A link to a folder should expose the folder in the Explorer.