Hotkey for "Create New Folder"

One of the strength of a note-taking tool is IMHO the possibility to use hotkeys wherever possible. One of the little things I am missing at the moment is the ability to create a new folder with a keyboard shortcut (e.g. with COMMAND+SHIFT+N).
Would be very comfortable to have it in Obsidian. It makes things faster and more fluent :kissing_heart:

33 Likes

I feel that Obsidian is missing a bunch of very obvious hot keys like this, disappointing.

1 Like

How is this not a thing yet?

PLEASE Implement this

1 Like

I really hope that it will be possible. Creating folders by hotkey is very necessary.

1 Like

landed here looking for a way to do this. If not as a shortcut, it would be great to at least be able to do this from the command palette.

We can already move files between folders from it, but there doesn’s seem to be a way to create new folders.

2 Likes

I’m also quite surprised, that obvious things like this don’t have commands/hotkeys.

1 Like

Any solution for this yet? I’m setting up Obsidian, and especially in this stage when lots of folders are popping in and out of existence, it would be nice to have a hot key. :smiley:

1 Like

Like @Earthlark I’m just setting up Obsidian, and I’m a new user to boot.

Frankly it’s unthinkable that Obsidian doesn’t have a built-in command for creating new folders (one of the most basic necessities for any app of this nature).

Fortunately I use Keyboard Maestro, so I can pretty easily work around this glaring oversight.

But… It makes me really nervous that this topic is nearly a year old and hasn’t seen any traction, and this kind of design choice fails to reassure me of the sense and reliability of the developer(s).

Agreed - madness that this isn’t available.

please mods pleaseeee!!!

there is no need for this. You can use quickswitcher. if you type feline/cat It will create a note cat inside the folder feline. It will also create the folder feline if it doesn’t exist.

1 Like

I think this response misses on the possibility that you might want to create multiple folders in a quick period of time. If I have to go outside of Obsidian to do that (and as of now, the best way is to go outside of Obsidian and use the OS system), then the ability to hotkey a new folder might be needed in Obsidian as to not break the workflow.

But if we care about just one folder, then yeah it seems the quick switcher is neat.

You don’t have to go outside Obsidian. You can use file explorer for that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.