Create a graph based on the folder structure

Hello there. Could you share the instructions for running Gource over an Obsidian vault? This looks really amazing. I’m assuming this could be implemented on top of Obsidian so we don’t have to wait for a plugin development, and if Gource keeps track of .md file modifications we’ll be creating permanent timelines of our vaults.

@TheChiefMeat If I understand correctly, this Feature request has the same purpose and similar proposed solution as another (older) request Render graph view so that nodes of notes in same folder are closer
Could these requests be merged to unify efforts, ideas, likes (votes) ? Or do they have something irreconcilable, that I missed?

As there are more and more notes in the vault, the graph view become a little messy. So I was wondering if Obisidian can render the graph view that nodes of notes in same folder get closer, or even get enclosed by some irregular shapes or lines with the folder name on it.

The basic idea of this feature request is that when we move some notes into a folder, there should exist some connections between the notes, so it’s natural to render the connections on the graph view.

9 Likes

My dream here would be a customizable graph view. Something like Gephi light. With options to chose graph layout and parameters.

But that’s definitely in the nice to have category, and far from essential.

2 Likes

Came to the forum just now to post a similar idea. Folders of notes need some way of being delineated from other folders.

I like the idea of customizable graph view, and in my opinion, the core feature and functionality of Obisidian is to maintain the connections between notes, everything else should be customizable.

So in the future, maybe we can have a customized graph view, a customized markdown editor, and a customized search etc.

1 Like

Yes definitely. +1 for a customized graph view. I can see so much potential in this.

Example scenario:
For example as a student, I classify my study material in three categories: definitions, concepts and synthesis. And they both have reference with each other. I can link them all I want, which makes it very powerful for jumping from reference to reference. And I can see all these links in the graph view. Now what would also help is to distinguish between the different type of file. Say definition in green square nodes, concept in blue circles and synthesis in red rectangular nodes.

1 Like

+1 for the graph, file in folders feature.

I started to create a _index file in every folder where I link to all the files in a folder to achieve exactly this.
It feels this should not be required to create manually all the time.

Using folder as a structure when rendering graphs sort of forces a specific hierarchy for end-users. For me, I see more benefit in using number of “shared tags” or “inter-links” as a more general and useful choice.

3 Likes

This looks like its kind of dead. Adding a +2mil to upvote this and try and get some traction.

4 Likes

The main problem with the global graph is that it is already far too cluttered.

The main benefit of a folder is that it reduces clutter by grouping notes that have something in common. If a note references another folder you already have a fair idea of whether the link is relevant to your current query without having to open the folder.

Therefore:

By default, opening the graph view on any note, show only the links that lie within the current folder as links to a note. (This makes no difference to people who don’t use folders)

• Pinning any note node by right-clicking it makes the highlighted link shown on hover permanent until it is unpinned.
  • Multiple nodes can be pinned at any time. A checklist of all pinned nodes is displayed so that they may be unpinned without searching for them again in the graph.

Adding Folders

• Links to another folder point to a node with the folder name (all links to the same folder point to the same node. Links to sub-folders of a common parent point to the parent). Unlinked folders do not appear
  • Hovering or pinning a folder node expands the graph to include its files, highlighting any links to already pinned nodes. Unpinning it (from the checklist) contracts it again to a single node.
  • An existing un-linked folder may be added to the pinned list (by searching for its name.)
  • Any folder node on the pinned list (but only one at a time) by be selected, and then any nodes on the graph may be moved to that folder. The graph adjusts accordingly.

Thus, for any folder, it is easy to see which external files reference it, and which internal files are visible externally.

Folder Notes (maybe?)

If a note node on the pinned list is selected as above, then it becomes a folder note, creating a linked folder to which other nodes may be added. The note may be edited like any other, but only notes that are referenced in the folder note will be suggested for linking outside the folder.

Is there any possibility to fully integrate Gephi into Obsidian via a plugin? Just like it was done for Juggl. This would be BRUTAL!

1 Like

That would be Brutal, Gelphi is so usefull!

I was thinking about opening a feature request similar to this. But I think it is too similar. Though it seems to me this thread derailed a little bit. Plugin that does way more than add to the graph view. Feature creep with gelphi integration.

Basically I’d suggest going with exactly what @EleanorKonik said:

Basically: Implement it like tags – as a toggle.

I would expect it to be simpler in complexity than other links since you only have to go through the folder structure once.

1 Like

I’m on my phone so I don’t have a link handy but I believe a plugin for this was recently submitted to the community list. It should be in yesterday’s edition of the roundup.

2 Likes

I found Waypoint on the roundup, thanks!

Current downsides: I still needs a file inside every top-level folder. It cannot be in the root folder. And it is still overkill for just some nodes in the graph :smiley:

2 Likes

This looks great! I am very much looking forward to using this as a Community Plugin. Thank you both for getting information about this awesome looking tool out and about! Very much appreciated!

1 Like

Another note: The links will be recursive, unless you have a waypoint note for every subfolder!

1 Like

Nice! Just noticed it was already accepted in!

Thanks.

I was just about to message here about Waypoint but it seems that you lot have already found it! Funnily enough, I was actually inspired to make the plugin after reading this thread and realizing there was no simple way to organize the graph with folders in mind. Waypoint works pretty well for organizing folders and allowing them to be viewed in the graph view. Here’s how it works in practice:

The main limitation is that waypoints can only be generated in a folder note. This is because I am trying to avoid processing every note in the vault whenever a file is moved/renamed, but it does reduce flexibility. On the note of recursive links, I do have an option in the settings that stops the waypoint search whenever it encounters a folder note instead of the default logic of only stopping when it encounters another waypoint.
If you have any questions/suggestions, get in touch @IdreesInc or add an issue to the GitHub repo.

3 Likes