Context menu items (Right-click on file) are inconsistently missing from Command Palette, hotkey and three-dot menu

Steps to reproduce

1. Right-mouse click on the file. A context menu opens. image
  2. Open Control Palette (Ctrl+P) and try to find all of options there. You will learn that the following are missing:
  • Open in new tab
  • Open to the right
  • Open in new window
  • Make a copy
  • Star

This also means that I can’t define a hotkey for any of those actions. This is a pity, especially in case of “Make a copy” function.

Additionally, some of items from the original context menu are also missing from the three-dot file-specific menu, even though they by all logic should be there as well.

Expected result

I expect all the file context menu items be available:

• in Command Palette
  • three-dot menu
  • available in the list of hotkeys

Environment

• Operating system:
    Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

• Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.16
    Installer version: v0.15.9
    Operating system: #66-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 20 14:29:49 UTC 2023 5.15.0-60-generic
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Update Obsidian, try these steps, and report back🤞🏼

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/debug-help/55299

I can confirm that the issue remains in the latest versions as well.
Obsidian version: v1.1.16
Installer version: v1.1.16

Hello. This is not a bug. The command palette does not (and is not intended to) contain every possible action that you can do.

The note ... and context menu in file explorer are different by intention because they serve a different purpose.

If there’s a command you would like to add in command palette, search/open a FR.

You may be interested in these FRs too.

This surprises me. My impression has been that everything is in the command palette and some of it is also exposed elsewhere. Offhand I can’t point to a concrete source of that impression other than the palette is where the most commands are (I imagine if I sat and thought I might remember something I already knew isn’t in the palette). Obviously my mistake hasn’t caused me any practical problems. I don’t know if many people believe the same thing.

1 Like

This is a big surprise.

I understand that some of the file explorer context menu items are not in the three-dot menu for mostly space and clutter reasons, but I don’t understand why some commands must necessarily be invoked only by mouse and there is no way to use a keyboard.

I personally care mostly about the “Make a copy (duplicate)” command myself.

Relevant threads: