Config to ignore/hide select files and folders

+1 for this feature

+1 it is absolutely necessary and would solve many problems.
The simplest and most practical is an .ignore file in my opinion.

Itā€™d be nice to be able to hide select folders from Obsidian.

I have a few, say, utility folders inside my Obsidian vault that help with interoperability for other apps. The contents have little to do with my notes. If I could hide them manually via the context menu, itā€™d be lovely!

In my view, this should disappear the folder and its contents from File Explorer, Graph, Search, autocomplete listsā€¦ everything!

46 Likes

+1 for this feature and I believe we have the same reason.

To add some context for others, Iā€™ve selected the NotePlan app folder as my vault so that it syncs automatically with NotePlan on iOS, which gives Obsidian a lovely mobile client and some bonus features like repeating tasks.

But this is what it looks like in Obsidian (Filters & comā€¦ are system folders for NotePlan)
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 6.00.10 PM

6 Likes

Heh, you got it. Improved quality of life in interoperating with NotePlan is the main reason.

But there are some other use-cases. Folders of receipts, random assets used in rich media, all the ā€œv2 v3 v4ā€ variants of articles I produce as theyā€™re iterated uponā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m on board!

2 Likes

canā€™t you use the .folder for this?

I donā€™t want the folder hidden on the OS (nor hidden to other apps). In this particular use case (screenshotted by @jacklaing), NotePlan uses the com.microsoft.appcenter and Filters folders for some special app magic. It wouldnā€™t be able to use those folders if we changed their path.

But even beyond NotePlan, I have files in my folders I donā€™t want Obsidian to be aware of (they cause clutter and make search results noisy, etc.). But I still want to be able to grab those files easily from e.g., Finder.

1 Like

Related discussion: Ignore a folder of temporary notes

1 Like

+1 Iā€™m also experimenting with NotePlan and other apps integration using the same folder, so obviously the possibility to hide certain folders would be very handy

1 Like

Another +1
I, too, am playing with integrating NotePlan and Obsidian. :slight_smile:

This would be helpful for those of us who arenā€™t interested in seeing notes such as templates or attachments.

ā€˜Right-click > hideā€™ would be great, with an option to ā€˜show hidden filesā€™ when needed.

3 Likes

Yes, urgently!

Iā€™m parsing .md files before pushing out to git. Iā€™m therefore having a duplicate of each file. Obsidian hence insists on fully qualified links. Iā€™ve tried chflags hidden but obsidian choses to ignore it.

Thanks!

1 Like

+1 Itā€™d be really useful

1 Like

+1 too. Thank you for your consideration.

1 Like

+1. Would be very useful to ignore specific folders within a vault, specially during operations like searching and moving file to other folder.

Thanks.

1 Like

+1
I need this feature too.

1 Like

I like to add .obsidian to my development projectā€™s folder, making them a Vault, but it would be nice, if I could keep some stuff out of view in the GUI and not have them getting processed by Obsidian.

This wouldnā€™t really help my issue with the templates folder going into the Vaultā€™s root, however, since I want to hide that from the projectā€™s root folder, not from Obsidian. If you also would like the templates folder to go from the Vaultā€™s root into .obsidian, please show your support at Place ā€˜templatesā€™ folder in ā€˜.obsidianā€™ but expose to UI. Thanks.

1 Like

This is a great feature request. I would also add the option to select whether one can still search & embed notes/images/other data from the hidden folders. Also through a right-click menu, something like Keep this folder searchable.

2 Likes

As hidden asset folders are not supported currently I went with a workaround. I posted this in a similar thread: Show / hide file types to be shown in file explorer - #17 by cmprmsd

2 Likes