A way to find which command is bound a specific hotkey

Use case or problem

Say I want to map Cmd + j to something. When I do this, I don’t know if that key combination is already mapped to something, so I might clobber it. Further, there is no real way to know what hotkeys are mapped to what, and this becomes cumbersome when trying out various hot-keys to see what “feels right”.

To clarify, the menu currently in Settings>Hotkeys allows searching for function —> key-combination, but this feature request is for a way to search key-combination—>function.

Proposed solution

Have a way to “search by key combination” in Settings–>Hotkeys where, it allows you to press a key combination, and it lists all functions that it is mapped to.

This is a common feature in many IDEs and code editors e.g. Visual Studio, sublime text, etc. so maybe we can based it on those.

Current workaround (optional)

None.

Related feature requests (optional)

None that I could find. Please let me know if this is duplicate, or related to something else that I might have missed!

19 Likes

I was just wishing for this today. It’s cumbersome now, but I see this becoming an even bigger problem as more and more plugins are developed that add new functions.

1 Like

When filtering in hotkeys settings, match also the hotkeys (e.g. “Ctrl+K”), not only the command names.
The same in command-palette.

Use cases

• Safely checking what given hotkey does.
  • Eliminating redundantly assigned hotkeys.
  • Unifying hotkeys manually across applications

Proposed solution

For example searching for / typing “Ctrl+m” in Settings/Hotkeys dialogue will show also command(s) which have the hotkey assigned, not only the commands which have “Ctrl+m” in their name.

Current workaround

Delve into config file.

Related feature requests:

4 Likes

I am a novice at this, but I am going to try to use Keyboard Maestro to make a list of command that I use when doing xx type project. I need a list like the one that appears with the Advanced chart plugin.

I am too old to remember all these hot keys. My fingers will not reach the keys while pushing down shift option command etc. So, I need a work around.

I think there is some way to pattern the hotkeys so they remind me which one goes with it. But, that is complex too.

1 Like

Use case or problem

Not able to search for what is bound to Ctrl+O. Instead I need to know the exact name of the action to which Ctrl+O is bound. Then and only then can I change it.

Proposed solution

Search either name or written keyboard combination, like so: Ctrl+O.

Current workaround (optional)

None.

Related feature requests (optional)

Try this:

1. Bind Ctrl-O to the command you want.
  2. If Obsidian shows a little red badge indicating a conflict, hover over the badge to see a popup that describes the conflict.
  3. Delete the Ctrl-O from the other command.
2 Likes

I believe this functionality comes from the Hotkey Helper plugin.

I don’t have Hotkey Helper, but I always do the steps above to find conflicts. It’s part of Obsidian core.

It doesn’t work if there are two hotkeys assigned already:

Anybody knows what ctrl+l is assigned to?

I would file that as a separate feature request: when a hotkey is assigned to more than 1 command, instead of saying conflicts with 2 other commands, it should say conflicts with "Omnisearch: Vault search" and 1 other command. Obviously more useful to track down and eliminate conflicts.

This thread has a way to list all hotkeys for easy identification:

this is implemented in v1.2

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.