I have roughly sketched out a table of contents of what I could present in the Zotero 101 talk, but I’d like to use this thread to collect requests of what you as an audience would like me to cover or any questions you already have. For now, I’ve assumed that most of the people interested in this talk are not necessarily academics, but are at least interested in the PDF annotation workflow or want to know what a reference manager is useful for. If you want me to add something else, have a specific use case in mind or if you want me to demonstrate something, please let me know in the comments just in case I need to prepare it in advance.
- Why do you need a reference manager?
- Zotero GUI and what you can do out of the box with it
- Why do you need plugins and which ones do you need?
- Basic setup
I’ll start with a fresh profile of Zotero and walk you through the whole process. Depending on the available time, I might choose a few points below where you can follow along.
- Where does it store its data?
- Ways to add new items
- Collections and tags
- Installing plugins
- Setting up Zotfile
- Managing attachments (renaming rules)
- Extracting annotations
- Setting up Better BibTeX
- Citekey management
- Exporting bibliography for use with other tools
- Setting up Mdnotes
- File configuration (split vs multiple files)
- Field customization
- Zotero v5.0.96 (Installed)
xpi of the following plugins downloaded to your computer:
- Zotfile v5.0.16 (Download here)
- Better BibTeX v5.2.144+(Download here)
- Mdnotes v0.2.0 (hopefully I’ll manage to release it before the talk, download here)
Note: If you can only make it from 16:30 onwards, try to have the holy trinity of plugins already installed if you want to follow along.
Date and time
Please vote for a slot that works for you using when2meet: https://www.when2meet.com/?11609682-Sy5UA
Based on the votes and schedule, the talk will take place on 2021-04-24T14:00:00Z (CET, click on the date for your timezone). I’ll be aiming for an hour, but it might be that we need a bit longer for discussions or questions at the end.
Presentation and Recording
- Zotero 101 - Handout.md (6.7 KB)
- The evergreen version of the handout + other Zotero-related forum posts here