Writing in tree structure - The solution to long form writing (Gingko)

I’m looking into using excalidraw plugin for putting my zettles together. You can just drag the note into canvas and it shows a visual of that note on the canvas where you can even edit it. But I see how you can do the same thing with kanban too

1 Like

You still did a wonderful job thank you for even making the plugin. I don’t know a thing about coding

2 Likes

I’d suggest that everyone check out the way Workflowy (free) can instantly switch between an outline and a kanban view. It’s very effective. In principle, i can’t see any reason why a switch of view like this couldn’t be implemented in Obsidian. I suspect it would need a small database (eg json) to work smoothly.

2 Likes

This would be perfect. Are there any updates on this plugin?

I wouldn’t mind this being a paid solution at all.

2 Likes

Same for me, I wouldn’t mind paying for that solution - 10$ per month.

It would be awesome to have this directly into Obsidian. As said above, Obsidian and Zettels NEED this kind of plugin in order to write long form content! The synergy between discovering/producing new ideas and then creating long form ones would be ideal.

4 Likes

Perhaps we could put a bounty for this plug-in to be created?

4 Likes

I don’t know how to create this bounty, but absolutely eager to participate financially!

2 Likes

New Gingko Desktop Beta~
Got email from Gingko @Adriano this moring , and just tesed the new Gingko desktop beta.
Not as powerful as the previous version, but it’s local markdown file based.
A good start. Keep moving…

7 Likes

I found a way to fix it (partially maybe) @xbeta @BetterVessel @Amin1

Put or copy the styles.css from github into css snippets and activate it

3 Likes

WOW~ thanks a looooot~~~
I tried again, and … guess what happened ?
The plugin works perfectly again without any hacks! :blush:
Just unzip the github obsidian-tree-edit-0.0.1.zip into Obsidian plugins folder, and activate it, then ctrl+ptree edit...

3 Likes

居然有insider的标识

1 Like

@santi Is there any chance for this plugin to see the light of day and become the official Obsidian plugin? I would love to write in tree style inside the Obsidian.

5 Likes

gingko is such a useful way to write and contain ideas, having to use this outside of obsidian pains me.

i understand that maybe there is the workaround with code via github but i dont understand any of that. please release proper support for stupid people like me. it would let me completely transition to obsidian

2 Likes
1 Like

I managed to get this working using your suggestion so its a great start.

However, it seems to only go 6 layers deep (I want to be able to go infinitely deep), and I’m not sure how to setup shortcuts to add above or below or next when writing in tree structure (meaning I have to take hands off keyboard to use the mouse to click)

Is there any way to fix this?

2 Likes

You can use obsidian canvas(core plugin) with Canvas MindMap Plugin,that should be better.

1 Like

Hey. Are there any updates on this plugin?

2 Likes

In my opinion, I feel that the logic and structure is almost the same as dynalist, which gave me excellent online-friendly note-taking and remiders experience. By the way it is founded by Obisidian’s co-founders, how great!

1 Like

A bit off topic, but where can I learn more about this style of writing? Why would one write this way and what are the examples of use?

1 Like

Thanks for posting this fix!
For anyone confused, the file is here on github: https://github.com/artem-barmin/obsidian-tree-edit/blob/master/styles.css
And the CSS Snippets can be found under “Appearance”.

And I am also intending to play with using LLMs/AI to improve the plugin. If there are any experienced (& passionate) developers who I could reach out for obstinate challenges, that would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes