Speed up Obsidian by converting YAML(?!)

I was going to add to this thread but was not allowed (I already had three consecutive entries and that’s tops).

All I want to chip in with – and the time is right before the latest update is publicly available – is this:

Some serious perfomance improvement all around was gained by converting my YAML frontmatter fields to multiline with dashes (was using the Linter plugin).
Not sure what difference this could have made with Obsidian speeding up.
A simple regex with many thousands of results just popped into view like nobody’s business. Never saw this speed before.

I am using a lot of plugins that might make Obsidian – even typing – a tiny bit sluggish (have a large vault too) but now that seems to be gone.

1 Like

After testing on Linux, I went ahead and indexed my WIndows install and started testing there as well. Obsidian feels much lighter.

Can you give an example of what your YAML looked like before and after? I’m not sure what you mean by “converting my YAML frontmatter fields to multiline with dashes”.

1 Like

They were lined up in a single line separated by commas (when I had commas in the filename, I was using double quotes for alias properties). These aliases, I even had them in single square brackets (someone on YouTube with lots of followers said that way you can use DataView on them, but I never found a use for that as I want all things static).

Because two community plugins (Linked Data Vocabularies and Link with Alias) which I recently installed and started using went ahead and converted (messed up) my YAML, I decided to have it their way and convert to the format they were forcing, which I am guessing is Obsidian YAML format (which uses dashes, no commas or even quotations).
So I suspect Obsidian under the hood might favour this format? I have no clue. Just I was thinking I’d write it up.

New format:

1 Like

It’s even possible that it is the fully reindexed states that causes this – soon-to-be-vanishing? – snappiness. Obsidian has mysterious ways, on iOS as well.

Further testing shows that definitely some improvement has been made.
Also,

automatic merging issues

of the past seem to be (largely) gone.