Retaining the benefits of Luhmann's numbering system without damaging key Obsidian functionality?

@Klaas Yes that is correct, I have migrated to a UID based on an altered version of the date prefix commonly used.

@davecan: I understand, and in a digital set-up that makes sense. I never understood why people would want the sequenced numbering in a digital set-up. But that’s a long, many-facetted discussion I am not interested in anymore.

What is important is that everyone finds the system that works for them.

@Sebastian anti pattern comes from software engineering, where it is a best practice to identify common patterns in design that help make software better, and by extension avoid anti patterns i.e. those patterns of software design and development that make the craft of software more difficult than necessary. So one thing you seek to do is become self-aware when you are drifting into an anti pattern and correct it.

My notes now are as tightly focused as they need to be. Most notes are relatively small, and I have some notes that are larger and have quite a few links to other closely related notes. I’ve taken to calling those notes topic clusters which are sort of an intermediate step between notes and MOCs.

My struggle now is figuring out how to integrate my daily work into Obsidian – this past week I spent virtually no time in Obsidian because I spent a massive amount of time in meetings taking in input and making decisions on the fly. I’m experimenting with a way to structure todos so I can aggregate them together more easily, if I can make that happen then I think I can make this work because I need to be able to create todos at the point of relevance but retrieve them later. I’m testing a system and will see how it goes this week.

4 Likes

I feel exactly the same way. I do not want to think and organize my ideas in silos.

Luhmann’s numbering system alone is just ordinary tree/hierarchy/outline as illustrated in

It just alternates letters and digits to separate levels a2c4. Alternatively, this can be done e.g. by inserting dots 1.2.3.4 or slashes a/b/c/d

So we can create an “outline note” with indented foldable list of links.
It can be used with any file-naming scheme we want, without breaking anything.

Each note can contain direct link to immediate next and previous note on the same level, to it’s first “child” note, to “parent” note and back into Luhmann-like hierarchy by ^block-reference to address precisely the line with backlink to discussed note.
Reference: [Advice] The ability to have a note hierarchy - #5 by malecjan

Also dilemma about file-naming scheme from original post is no longer relevant after introduction of aliases, which work with autocomplete.
Use H1 or YAML property "title" instead of or in addition to filename as display name or Display customizable representation strings/icons instead of filename-only would make Obsidian more usable, of course.

4 Likes