Render math in links after pipe (or as an alias)

Would it be possible to make math render in links? Essentially I am talking about the following displaying the rendered x at the last line and not $x$.

$$x = 10$$
^fftest

[[#^fftest|$x$]]

Use case or problem

I am reading a lot of scientific papers with maths where variables all have some specific complicated meaning. With wikilinks I could use block referencing, such that when I type the variable and hover over I can see what it means. This would be great when the variable is a complicated expression.

Proposed solution

Make math mode renderable in links? I don’t know if this is complicated or simple.

Current workaround (optional)

Right now I am defining the variable at the top of the note and then link the definition with block referencing to one of the other words in the text. For example

“… then we see that the [[#^fftest|$x$variable]] x is not identifiable…”

Related feature requests (optional)

This is the closest I have found as a request. It is, however, the opposite direction of linking.. I think that what the person suggests might be really hard to implement in the latex environment but I hope that the reverse direction would be different.

I am not sure but is this similar?

5 Likes

I would love that feature as well.

Use case or problem

Sometimes notes have an equation as title, and I’d like to show them as such in links.

Proposed solution

If link alt name is defined and contains LaTex, render that LaTex part just like it’s rendered elsewhere in the document.

Please see this related bug report.

Current workaround (optional)

Related feature requests (optional)

This works: [$NH_3$](ammonia)

This does not work: [[ammonia|$NH_3$]]

2 Likes

That is a very good workaround for now, I did not know that. Thank you!

Thanks!

The only downside is that it does not allow intervals.

This works:

> [$g(\tilde{S}_T, \mu_0 \mid \tilde{y}_{T})$](joint_conditional_disribution)

This does not:
[$g(\tilde{S}_T, \mu_0 \mid \tilde{y}_{T})$](joint conditional disribution)

That seems like a separate bug - can you file it?

Um, sure. I haven’t used aliases and I didn’t know they allow for intervals. Is the expected behaviour to allow for spaces?

@WhiteNoise knows that specification in detail. I expect this follows the spec precisely for compatibility.

If you want the spaces, you can add them as %20. Following wise words from the forum, I made all my file-names-dash-separated and this is not an issue.

I think I’d like the URL to be fixed in external links so spaces become %20 automatically, but I don’t know how to do this unintrusively.

[$g(\tilde{S}T, \mu_0 \mid \tilde{y}{T})$](joint%20conditional%20disribution)