Quick navigation within folder

Proposal summary

next/previous note hotkeys that navigate the pane with current focus to the next/previous note in the same directory, in the natural sort order

Use case or problem

I use a branching note numbering scheme (note 2 is followed by note 2.1, followed by 2.2, followed by 3, etc) and switch between adjacent notes regularly. My current workflow involves revealing the note in navigation, and clicking the adjacent note.

Proposed solution

Since the note codes are already designed to take advantage of Obsidian’s natural sort feature, a keyboard shortcut to jump to the next/previous note in sorting order would greatly simplify my workflow. In addition, this solution incorporates minimal assumptions about the numbering scheme.

14 Likes

+1 That would be great!

+1 That would be helpful

+1 , This function is also what I need

+1. This feels like a natural generalization of the Daily Note plug-in command for “Open Next Daily Note”. I’d like to be able to flip through my journal pages (freeform notes titled like “2023-08-26-1617”) in this way. The alternative is to click through them all or open a range all at once (which relates to another feature request that may be slightly related).

+1

I would love to see this implemented, at best using the current selected sort order. I would use it to navigate the notes with the oldest modification time.

+1
It would be powerful for navigating any type of log/history folder in chronologic or anti-chronologic order.