Properties search improvement: Value selection as with tag search

Use case or problem

Searching properties is awesome, but could be made more user-friendly in a way that offers greater ease of use as well as visibility on the values one has entered into their various properties.

Proposed solution

When a user navigates to the search bar, they are presented with the following query selector.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 15.13.43

Upon selection of the [property] search, the user can select one of the properties they have entered.
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 15.14.25

At this point, the user can then type their desired value. This isnā€™t especially optimal.

I propose the user be able to select from a list of values associated with a given property. For example, if a user has a property status: and the values unread, read, active, boop, bop, yay, then these should appear as a selectable list in the after selecting the status: property in the search menu. This is a significant benefit of the tag search, which allows the user to select any tag used in the vault:

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 15.19.25

I would say the benefits of this are significant for ease of use and visibility of all values associated with that property. Letā€™s say I want to quickly search for files that are unread books. Presently, that means I have to do something like the below:

Screen Recording 2023-11-06 at 15.30.55

Itā€™d be much quicker to click from a list which is automatically populated with values associated with each of my chosen properties.

Current workaround (optional)

Typing the values manually.

Related feature requests (optional)

5 Likes

Thanks! This is well thought, much better properties improvement than my super properties which I wrote about some time ago (see the link below).

2 Likes

Thanks for the added value of your reply! We were both active in that topic, and I remember now your post. I think your suggestion would certainly add some nuance here that could enhance the FR.

1 Like

A great suggestion. +1 !

1 Like