Plugin release: Review (great for GTD projects and tickler files)

A while back I clicked the “Developer” role on the Discord, so I felt I had something to prove.

Review

Review is a plugin that allows you to quickly add the current note to a daily note in the future. Or today. Or the past. Whatever!

It integrates with (and therefore requires) @argentum’s Natural Language Date plugin. (Really, that plugin does all the hard work. My plugin is lazy.)

I personally love it for GTD-style project review (as I use Obsidian for my tasks manager). On a project page, set it for review for a few dates in the future to make sure you don’t miss it.

Enjoy!

14 Likes

Love that idea! Thanks for the plug-in!

1 Like

Does it mean that I can make a todo note for tomorrow and just put it into the daily note of tomorrow a day before so I can review it on that same day! COOL!

1 Like

I was manually, painstakingly and painfully doing this via the Calendar plugin.

Your way is so much more more and does seems to not add clutter to the original note text. (Tried to streamline the workflow before using nldates on the original note, but the cluttering on the original note was a bit distracting).

Thanks @ryanjamurphy!

1 Like

Recent updates:

• 1.4.0: Added a setting for a default review date (e.g., when no date is entered).
  • 1.5.0: Added a command to review the current block.
  • 1.5.1: Added a setting for user-customizable block review line prefixes. Made the modal use the default date as placeholder text. Removed the extra line break for cleanliness.
3 Likes

1.6.0 added support for daily note templates. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Feature request: Add option to review text under a header (instead of the entire note or a block). In other words, the link to the current note on the future daily note would just be [[Daily note#This header]]. Could just do this manually but I don’t want to >:c

EDIT: Another feature request: Add option to embed entire note or header just as you would a block (preferably this option would appear when setting review date instead of just from the plugin options). Could also just do this manually but…

Love the plugin BTW! Hope these feature requests aren’t too much to ask :wink:

1 Like

This plugin is great! Love it.

Feature request: add a switch to set the location of the Review header and inserted items to be at the top of the note or the bottom.

2 Likes

Question or feature request: is there a way to set Review for an Obsidian block? Thanks!

1 Like

When you search Review through the command palette, you have two options: to review the entire note or a selected block. So if I’m understanding your question, you can indeed set Review for blocks.

1 Like

Note that you can also set hotkeys for anything in the command palette in Obsidian’s preferences → hotkeys.

@3mbry0 I think those feature requests are doable. Can you add them as Issues to the GitHub page? Sorry for the trouble!

I would love to do this, but I’m actually not convinced it’s doable without introducing additional syntax. Review works simply by finding and replacing your Review heading with the heading and the newly added item. To append to the list would require finding the end of an arbitrarily-defined section and adding the text there. Since it’s hard to depend on a well-defined ending for the section, I haven’t figured out how to consistently find it.

Other plugins handle this by introducing extra syntax into the note—e.g.,

---
## Review
some text

---

So, this might be a solution, but I want to avoid this kind of visible metadata.

Either way, if you can also create an issue to this effect on GitHub, it’d be great—thanks!

1 Like

No problem. And done! Thank you :slight_smile:

Here they are btw:

1 Like

great plug-in
The only trouble I am having is appending the note/block to an existing daily note. This is supported, yes?

Indeed. What’s not working? Or, what happens when you try it?

all good now. I must have played too much with code. Apologies

Thanks for great plugin!
But I can’t add a current note to a daily note when the daily note already exists.
The message “Unable to create new file” is appeard.

I figured out why I was getting the error.
It is because I have changed Date format setting to "YYYYMMDD’’.
Review plugin does not have the ability to read Date format settings.
In the case of the Calender plugin, it has the ability to reload daily note settings.

1 Like

I had the same problem. It turned out that I had one “Y” lacking in "YYYY-MM-DD’’ Natural Language Dates plugin :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, sorry, you have to manage the dates setting through the preferences in Natural Language Dates. Glad you figured it out!

Thank you for the explanation.
I did that and it worked.

By the way, I have set “Default review date” to “today” and am using Daily Notes as my MOC.

1 Like