Page jumps when navigating back/forward

When navigating back and forward with large notes, Obsidian jumps back to the correct location but also does a subsequent smaller jump of around 3-5 lines.

Steps to reproduce

1. Go to a long note and locate a link somewhere in the middle (below the fold).
  2. Ctrl - Click on that link to open the note.
  3. Then use navigate back (button in top right corner). Obsidian will now jump back to halfway the long note, but then does another smaller jump.

Expected result

I would expect that Obsidian immediately jumps to the correct location, and not do a subsequent smaller jump. This is a bit annoying and ‘feels’ sluggish.

Actual result

See description above. I’ve made a video where this effect on a small scale can be seen (it jumps around 2 lines).

(Since I recorded my actual Vault, I feel apprehensive to upload it here where the whole world can see. Is there some place I can send it to? Else I’ll make a fake Vault and see if the issue happens there too.)

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 64 bit
  • Obsidian version: Obsidian v0.11.0
  • The problem happens with custom CSS enabled and disabled.

Additional information

This problem first happened on 0.11.0 for me.

I searched the forum and graveyard for recent issues (last 2 weeks) and couldn’t find any.

can you please post a screen recording with no css and no plugins?
you can use the help vault to show me the problem.
Thanks.

Thanks for reply and the patience.

I’ve collected three videos from a newly created help vault (using Obsidian v 0.11.0), with all the default settings.

The only change I made was to copy/paste the content of the ‘Start here’ note onto the end of that note. That way I had a longer document to scroll.

Examples

I’ve found three situations where the page position is not stable.

1. When I go back and forward in a note, then after the navigation there’s a small jump.
  • Video (mp4)
  • On the video the effect is small, but in my large vault there’s a larger time delay between the navigation and the jump. And thus a little bit more annoying.

1. There’s a small page jump when I go from the File Explorer to the Search tab.

1. When there are two notes side by side, and I navigate with the left note, then the right note also has its page position jump when navigating.

Let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t reproduce them.
What are your computer specs?

+1, I have the same as you described

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I have an AMD A8-5600 3.6Ghz CPU (quad core), a SSD drive, and 8GB of RAM. I don’t know the speed of the SSD drive or the RAM.

I believe the reason why you are able to see the jump is because you have a very old computer. We’ll see if we can improve a bit in this area.

I’m sorry, but really?
4 cores, 8Gb of RAM and SSD are not enough for text editor and text render? How so? How much performance is needed for this program?

10 years old CPU

4 cores of 3.6 GHz.

It’s not a quad-core. It’s really a dual core. AMD got sued over this .

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I agree that my computer is very old. The ‘page jump behaviour’ started recently, around 0.11.1 or 0.11.2. Perhaps there’s an inefficiency introduced.

However if this problem will simply go away with a new computer, then I’m also fine with closing this issue. Because I do plan to (finally!) buy a new computer later this year.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Let me elaborate a bit further because the conversation was side-tracked. I think 1 is definitely because your computer is slow. 2 & 3 might be bugs. I am going to close this thread and open on for 2 and for 3.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks WhiteNoise! :+1:

Thanks. The same issue also happens on my new computer (an Intel i5-10400 hexacore @ 2.9Ghz with 24GB RAM and SSD drive).

I think a small inefficiency happened around Obsidian v0.11.0 since the two other issues also happened at that time.

It would be great if the cause can be found, since that would fix three issues in one go. :slightly_smiling_face: Let me know if can help by providing information or something.