Obsidian Tabs - a tabbed pane management plugin

If you’ve been on the Obsidian Members Group discord, you’ve probably seen me copiously documenting the development process for this plug-in.

Now that it’s been approved for the Community Plugins list, I felt it was an opportune moment to share this plugin on the forums!

Obsidian Tabs lets you open new documents [ctrl+click in the file explorer] in ‘tabs’.

This plugin is made for use with the Maximise Pane plugin and the Pane Relief plugin to allow quick maximising and swapping of the active pane.

In addition, this plugin lets the user have multiple tabbed windows at the same time [see documentation on how to achieve this.]

Install the plugin manually from the releases tab of the github repo, or install it from the Community Plugins list!

This plugin may not play well with certain themes, especially ones with sliding panes CSS integrated. If possible, I try to create compatches to make Obsidian Tabs match the look of a theme, as well as get things working nicely. Feel free to request a compatch through github issues if something doesn’t work, or looks off. If a theme is working well, you’re also encouraged to notify me on github, so I can update the compatibility list!

26 Likes

Looks nice!

Is there a way to have:

• tabbed documents in a pane on the left,
  • a permanent (non-tabbed) Preview pane on the right, and
  • have the preview pane automatically update what it’s displaying to synchronize with the currently active tab on the left?
1 Like

As of now, this hasn’t been implemented, but if I manage to work it out, I’ll be glad to notify you!

1 Like

@forever: please notify all of us :wink:

Thanks , it looks promising, I was using Slidingpanes plugin but it has a lot of problems. I am going to git this a try.

The latest update now includes a command to toggle Obsidian Tabs on and off, which you can associate with a hotkey.

Hopefully this will let users get the most out of obsidian by letting them conveniently swap in and out of tabbed view!

2 Likes

Hi. The latest update of Obsidian seems to run slow with Obsidian tabs turned on. When I turn it off, performance is okay. (on a Mac)

Hi, is this on version 0.12.3 with the latest version of Obsidian Tabs (1.0.5)?

If so, that’s odd, as I am currently on 0.12.3 without any issues.

I don’t have a Mac to test for issues unfortunately. ):

Is there anything unusual in the console log?

@forever: just some feedback from another Mac user: I have not experienced the slowdown @hulk refers to. I am using Obs version 0.12.3.

I’ve switched Obsidian Tabs and Pane Relief on again, and things seem to be working fine. I also read that performance was affected in Google Drive which I am using, so perhaps that is the root of the issue? Apologies for raising unnecessary alarm, but when I switched off those two plugins yesterday, the problem did disappear, but now I don’t think they were causally linked. I may need to look at Obsidian sync now.

1 Like

I can’t figure out how to slip the tabs into two vertical groups like in the first post. Whenever I split the note into two and want to open the others in tab it continues to split it further and just divides the screen into more notes. I am also using Minimal theme so it is possible that it is compatibility issue.

Once you’ve split it into two panes which are side by side, click the three dot menu in the top right corner of a pane, and split it vertically. That should create tabs.

A vey nice plugin! I like it better than sliding panes. Thank you!

1 Like

@romanov.maxim: I do too. Before the tabs plug-in I thought I could not live without it. I have now ditched for the tabs plug-in as I much prefer that.

1 Like

In my case, the Plugin seems quite buggy. Many times I try to split a black pane occurs. The handling of vertical/horizontal splitting seems very counter intuitive. Often, no logic is recognizable whether a pane appears horizontally or vertically; sometimes closing a vertically splitted pane results in collapsing every splitting resulting in just on pane with tabs. Are there any plans to implement tabs for panes properly and “natively”?

4 Likes

With the new patches there is this annoying problem of tab buttons cluttering the name of the note

The funny thing is that these buttons don’t even work (for me i don’t care, i’m trying to understand how to hide them)

@Blackout: try this

.view-actions {
    display: none;
}

It works but i should be able to have the buttons on the active tab so i can close it.
How can i do this display:none only on the other tabs?
Sorry if it’s a stupid question but i have zero experience on css

You could consider closing the active tab in a much easier way:

CTRL+W

Well i still want to be able to open the notes options (three dots button)