Tabs in the Main Area of Obsidian view (in the panes) (like a browser)

+1 for tabs with VSCode style. That would be super great :slight_smile:

Chiming in here for this; I’ve found an Obsidian Tabs extension but it seems to assume that you want only one pane, whereas I miss the vscode/[[foam]] like setup in which each pane might have its own tab set.

5 Likes

Would love to see a tab mode. It’s currently inconvenient to switch between notes.

2 Likes

Same here, I would love the same system as in VSCode. With the incoming WYSIWYG mode, that would be a perfect combination (the tabs pluging is a bit klunky and doesn’t really have the expected behavior)

Do we know if this is on the future todolist of the dev?

There are a couple of plugin for doing this.

@WhiteNoise: would be more useful to briefly describe the recommended plugin, and the differences among them; or at least link to them.

I’ve found these so far:

1 Like

Do we have any updates on this? It would be really nice if Obsidian had this feature. The current plugin (Obsidian Tabs) doesn’t have the same behavior as tabs in, let’s say, Chrome of Firefox, which is what I would expect. I’m sure I’m not the only one! Would be amazing to see this in a future update.

5 Likes

I agree. I really want this feature. :slight_smile:

The standard to follow would be vim tabs+windows or tmux windows+panes.

I have multiple “note contexts” I focus on. Being able to have a tab per-“context” would be wonderful.

1 Like

I still cant believe we don’t have functional tabs yet in obsidian. I discussed in a post my ideal vision of tabs, genuinely cant wait to finally have tabs included eventually!

1 Like

Obsidian is NOT a Web Browser, Word Processor or Database. What it IS is a PLAIN TEXT application that uses Markdown and works on multiple operating systems (Which are all different) like Windows, Linux (various flavors) MacOS, Android (Various flavors), iOS etc. It IS extensible but that is not the core of the application. The developers ARE Amazing.

And that do NOT exclude it from INSPIRING itself from OTHER applications which HAVE been iterated over FOR years to make navigation AS effective as possible. Suggesting such FEATURES also does not imply that the DEVs aren’t amazing, just THAT some accessibility features might be worthwhile for part of the community.

3 Likes

I’d like this feature as well. The Obsidian tabs plugin works, but I don’t like how it shifts the tabs around once you open a new file. The active tab is also placed down in a row of its own instead of just being side-by-side with the other tabs. It’s really confusing

4 Likes

Tabs would be amazing. Please… It would make a world of difference.

On July 14 on the Obsidian roadmap, a card for Tabs was created. This is currently the only item in Working on. As a side note, also on that day there were cards for a Corkboard/Whiteboard plugin and a Refreshed default theme by @kepano added to Short-term. These are exciting times!

6 Likes

It would be extremely convenient to be able to open panes in tabs, and switch between the tabs using hotkeys, like you can in the browsers or in VSCode.

I know that there are a couple of community plugins for that (Obsidian Tabs and Cycle through Panes), but their behavior is a bit inconvenient and pretty counterintuitive.

VSCode also has “Open Editors” panel - a sidebar widget that contains a list of all the open files (for cases when the open tabs can’t fit on the screen). It is also extremely useful.

I really wish this functionality was the part of the core Obsidian app, it would make everything so much more convenient!

3 Likes

I would also really appreciate this feature! I would also embrace sidebar tabs, possibly as an “Open notes” space in the sidebar. The Arc web browser also has a good implementation of sidebar tabs that accommodate “split” views of different webpages at once.

Obsidian is NOT a Web Browser, Word Processor or Database. What it IS is a PLAIN TEXT application that uses Markdown and works on multiple operating systems (Which are all different) like Windows, Linux (various flavors) MacOS, Android (Various flavors), iOS etc

You mean… Like Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, Atom, Em Editor, UltraEdit, Notepad ++, Zettlr, FocusWriter, Kate Editor, Geany, Gedit, CudaText…

Tabs exist in all of this softwares because they are convenient and they proved it.

The developers ARE Amazing.

Yes, but off-topic here. Every software can be improved.

2 Likes

Don’t think most of these work on Android or iOS

1. Obsidian is not an phone only application, and I didn’t read anywhere that we were talking about the phone implementation side only of the app. The original post was talking about Obisidian in general.
  2. There is some tabs implemented on smartphone app as well. Firefox and Chrome at least, some note apps allow to work on multiple docs at the same time thanks to a small burger menu on the left corner of the screen.

No, but all the OSs were listed including mobile and the many programs you listed don’t have mobile versions, so they weren’t equivalent.

Yes, some mobile markdown editors do have tabs (with no need for a burger). But then they don’t have desktop versions.

Obsidian’s approach to mobile has been maximalist rather than the typical minimalist and I’d expect that they’d want tabs to be on mobile when they’re added to desktop.