Note infinite scroll / opening folder of notes

Or: Obsidian already has a search feature. What if the results of a search could be rendered in a normal webview instead of the tiny sidebar? Then you could search for e.g. #project1 and get the same result

3 Likes

+1. miss that from Roam

1 Like

You can drag the edge of the sidebar to make it not tiny.

On Obsidian Mobile you can’t do that, but the sidebar has a “maximize” icon next to the tab name (where it say “Search” or “File Explorer” or whatever’s active there) that expands the sidebar to the whole screen.

The Quick Explorer community plugin’s “quick-preview mode” might do what you want:

you can just keep hitting the PgDn key to scroll through the full contents of every note in a folder, as quickly as if they were pages in a notebook, or as scrolling through a single giant document

(Haven’t tried it myself, just found it while browsing plugins and remembered this thread.)

+1 recently launched https://reflect.app/ does this and it’s a really nice experience to have easy access to everything that’s top of mind from previous and future days

I’m not a programmer so please correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t it be possible for Obsidian to use a “Daily Note” similar to Logseq/Remnote? Where you can scroll through the timeline of entries made? Logseq uses an offiline markdown vault as well so I don’t know where the limits of Obsidian would be?

If you haven’t seen it yet - check out the Daily Notes Viewer plugin by @Johnson0907. It is does EXACTLY that. Like water in the desert.

I’ve implemented something similar, see here. I generate MOCs automatically based on the folder tree.

What’s the relation between Reflect.app and Obsidian?

Has someone found a reasonable way to recreate that infinite daily page scroll feel of Roam et al.?

Daily Notes Viewer embeds a list of daily pages, which technically gives you a continuous view of past daily pages. But since they are embeds, you can’t edit the notes, and they have that embed feel & look.

What you need is to be able to edit embeds.

time, capacity, money

, i suppose

+1 need this real bad

i think this post should also be a feature request

Yep, it already is: Continuous View - Scrivener Like

And this is a plugin idea in case someone else wants to build it in the meantime.

1 Like

Yes, 100% agree that this should be the default behavior. I imagine it borrowing from the nvALT UI.

This is one of the views available in Tangent Notes. Entirely editable.

Given Obsidian’s foundation in local markdown files, it’s very easy to use more than one program with those files. I tend to work most with Tangent and Canvas. In the past I’ve had both Obsidian and Tangent (and others) open on the same directory and sometimes on the same file.
Tangent uses Obsidian syntax (just starting to diverge eg with highlighting and comments), so it’s easy just to use it as a different view on an Obsidian vault.

2 Likes

very nice,
thank you .

+1 from me as well.

I tried Reflect and love an infinity scroll both into the past AND the future. LogSeq only makes it possible to scroll into the past, but I love to also note things down in the future for project planning, etc.

+1

This is a great feature of Reflect.

+1 love this idea too